• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to tell if customer is mistreating their wrap?

SSG_SIGNS

Hey everyone, we are trying to tell if one of our customers is mistreating their wrap by taking through an automatic brush wash or with a pressure washer. There is lifting on the roof and on the bumpers where it would get a lot of contact from those two. We tell all our customers to hand wash the wraps, might start getting them to sign something where we have told them about the care. Just wondering what others are doing.

Jack Knight1979

Funny story. I was running some errands in town over the weekend and drove past a long time customers store front. I've done some work on a few box trucks and a small prius he has.

Nice guy, but I've heard from a few people he has a really bad temper. I've dealt with him for years and have never even seen him look a little irritated.

So drive past his shop and I couldn't believe my eyes. He had his Prius tied up to a tree and was hitting it it with a bondage whip on the rear hatch.

Talk about WTF.

So the work week rolls around and he shows me the "damage" on his wrap. He told me he was hand washing his car on Saturday and the graphics started de-laminating.Luckily I caught him "mistreating" and backed up my claim with a cell phone picture. (I love technology) I happily informed my client that 3M didn't cover "Automotive Bondage" and the damage was not covered under our warranty.

Phew.

Sorry I couldn't resist. All you can do is tell the customer not to pressure wash the vehicle. If it comes back with lots of abrasion scratches and peeling in suspect areas you know they didn't hold up their end of the deal.

speedmedia

Funny story. I was running some errands in town over the weekend and drove past a long time customers store front. I've done some work on a few box trucks and a small prius he has.

Nice guy, but I've heard from a few people he has a really bad temper. I've dealt with him for years and have never even seen him look a little irritated.

So drive past his shop and I couldn't believe my eyes. He had his Prius tied up to a tree and was hitting it it with a bondage whip on the rear hatch.

Talk about WTF.

So the work week rolls around and he shows me the "damage" on his wrap. He told me he was hand washing his car on Saturday and the graphics started de-laminating.Luckily I caught him "mistreating" and backed up my claim with a cell phone picture. (I love technology) I happily informed my client that 3M didn't cover "Automotive Bondage" and the damage was not covered under our warranty.

Phew.

Sorry I couldn't resist. All you can do is tell the customer not to pressure wash the vehicle. If it comes back with lots of abrasion scratches and peeling in suspect areas you know they didn't hold up their end of the deal.

Please tell me that is a made up story....lol

We always make customers sign the wrap sheet that says we do not cover damage from car washes or power washing. I always go over with them the best way to clean is to hand wash. Of course most of them still go through the wash. I started putting strips of lam on each seam and perf edges to sort of help in case they do but you can normally tell if the vinyl is lifting in a spot where water might site from a car wash or areas where the car wash in more apt to come in close contact with the wrap.

Thanks,
Kurt

SSG_SIGNS

Thanks for the great story, now of course you can't tell them they are lying without proof of course, doing the fix, do I replace the whole panel or do I do a patch with a seam? Just curious what the opinions are on this as well.

DIGITAL360

Just look inside his car before the install. if its dirty as hell then no need to worry about him/her washing the outside. LOL

stickasteve

I agree with Digital... People follow suit with their lifestyle. Look at the customer, and look at the car. If any customer asks if they can wash it like a regular paint job, expect them to mistreat the wrap.

A wrap is not paint. If it is treated like paint then it will be destroyed. People should buy the wrap wash and polish in order to keep the wraps in great shape. But they don't. I tell them it voids their warranty. This way if they don't want to treat it right, then when it gets messed up, they can't come crying to me.

zapblam

No such thing as hand washing here. -28 celcius...aint no one standing outside with a bucket and sponge.

So we just assume its going through a touchless wash or a pressure washer. We instruct to not go blasting away at the wrap at very close range. And how to power wash the edges and overlaps.