• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question how to tension replacement vinyl on an awning

netsol

a good friend asked if we could replace the printed vinyl on his (stationary) awning.
obviously have never done one.
i feel we have all the various equipment one would need (bucket truck, scissor lift, scaffolds, fabrication shop)
what equipment or technique am i missing that would allow me to tension the vinyl during installation?
obviously, if you replace the material on a "sunsetter" like the one over my deck, you retract , remove, measure carefully and reinstall, but not quite sure about this

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When you say replace...are you certain you can remove the existing graphics?

netsol

i guess i am not making myself clear.
it is a vinyl awning. when i remove the vinyl it will just be a metal frame
we have COVERED OVER the previous company name with a vinyl that was set with an iron to heat it

the awning is 15 years old (with SEVERAL name changes) but now needs to have the vinyl SUBSTRATE replaced

Johnny Best

Are you wondering how the awning will attach back to the metal frame. Was it attached With rope through grommets before?

visual800

it should possibly have a rubber insert on top that slides in long track against the side that is closest to building and then the sides and front simply tek screw into the frame, pictures would help.

netsol

thank you!
i see i have not asked my question clearly

since the SUBSTRATE that will cover the frame is approx 20 feet long, what piece of equipment do i need to acquire, or what technique am i not getting that allows me to AFTER FASTENING THE TOP, stretch the 20 running feet of vinyl TIGHTLY, EVENLY, WITH NO WRINKLES?

i have been visualizing how to fabricate a fixture that will allow holding the substrate in place [ if i do 5' at a time] while fastening it (OBVIOUSLY I WILL FASTEN WITH THE SAME TYPE OF FASTENERS THAT ARE CURRENTLY USED)

Johnny Best

You have to lock stich lace the awning back and pull down and sideways to pull tension and get wrinkles out. You can buy rope from awning company to accomplish.

Attachments

• lacing.jpg
    lacing.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 70