• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to trim down a 33-foot-long banner?

netsol

The banners won't have finished edges - they'll just be straight flat edges with no hemming. I'll be manually adding grommets to all four corners of each one though.
Our work bench is 36" long... It's a baby. So cutting a 33-foot banner 10 times on it would be crazy haha. The floor seems to be the best option we have currently. I'm trying to just figure out how people normally create banners that're this long basically... It seems wild to me that someone would just roll and unroll and cut as they go. This banner is longer than the room I'm printing them in haha.
rent a couple 8 ft tables (better to buy on ebay, craigslist, offerup, facebook marketplace)

guillermo

What I will do ( as I have done in the past) is that I will cut the vinyl as is coming out, but good luck as it will be tight, or cutting them by hand, let me tell you, for something like that I do not use a straight edge, is faster by hand, for me.

Last edited:

MikePro

its not rocket surgery:
use a straight edge and a knife
OR print your cutline and just cut it freehand
OR rollup your print square on a tube and take it to a bandsaw.

if you wish to cut on your table, just take it in 6ft sections at a time and roll-up both ends as you go.
...and i would try to get a smaller roll as to not waste so much material, or take extra care in handling the cutoff pieces to be used at a later date.

Last edited:

petepaz

i trim banners with scissors. longest was about 15ft but i don't see a problem on a 33footer other than it will take longer. i would try to do it on a long table if possible as apposed to on the floor.
roll it up start on one end and roll that end up as you go along. one end will be unrolling and the other will be rerolling as you cut

JBurton

Signtologist
If I did not have a flatbed and had to trim a 33ft banner I would do it with scissors
I'd reckon you'd do it with the knives on that laminator. How's that thing been holding up?

Personally, I'd freehand the cut on our 14' table, unroll 12', cut, roll up on new tube, move to the other end of the table, unroll, cut, repeat. Alternatively, straight up load it into a laminator, flip it to run then hold a fresh blade to the cut line, even better if you have a minion to trim the other side at the same time.
Hemming with tape is a great way to hide janky cuts, but I'm with most everyone else, signs365 or similar could have this to you in 2 days.

JBurton

Signtologist
Scissors? My hand wants to cramp just thinking about that.
I finally found one of these off amazon, works on anything rigid that isn't too flimsy, or stuff like high scrim banner that has too many threads. Cuts magnet like a champ, backing paper
61XzuDnRiUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

DL Signs

Never go against the family
You just need to get better equipped. If you have the room to do it on the floor, you have room for tables.

I have 4x12 tables, same height, on wheels that I can move around for large stuff. We made the tables ourselves, welded steel frames with MDF tops and cutting mats. Probably a worthwhile investment if you're going to get into those. Yes it's easier, but even if you have to do it on a floor, I think you're over-thinking this, it shouldn't take long just to trim. We trim a lot of graphics, banners, flex faces in the field if they need it to fit, in parking lots, on grass, floors, beds of trucks & trailers...

I do flex faces like these, I can trim a full roll down to 26x6.5 feet in minutes, plus weed, mask, lay the black vinyl in about the time you think it'll take just to trim those.

Attachments

• kohls flex.jpg
    kohls flex.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56

Humble PM

Mostly tolerates architects
I finally found one of these off amazon, works on anything rigid that isn't too flimsy, or stuff like high scrim banner that has too many threads. Cuts magnet like a champ, backing paper
61XzuDnRiUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
We have very similar device for trimming down studio background rolls. Leaves a wicked clean edge to the paper, and avoids paper cuts.

Or get Robert to get your sheers really sharp.

JBurton

Signtologist
I do flex faces like these, I can trim a full roll down to 26x6.5 feet in minutes, plus weed, mask, lay the black vinyl in about the time you think it'll take just to trim those.
Man, I've got the install for that interior work, but can't figure out who was giving out the exterior signage installs. I think they've completed all the ones in my area, but do you know who's subbing out that work?

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Man, I've got the install for that interior work, but can't figure out who was giving out the exterior signage installs. I think they've completed all the ones in my area, but do you know who's subbing out that work?
Not sure, I'd have to ask the boss. If I remember I'll ask next week. I think we might only have one more of theirs on the schedule in our territory, so they seem to be coming to an end here too. We've been going crazy with updated branding for a ton different chains.