• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How was this Decal Produced?

thewvsignguy

Have a friend that asked if we can dome some vinyl letters for him. Yea, that's not to hard just let me know what you have in mind. So I get a package with the attached NOS decal that is no longer being produced.

It has to be thermal printed but not sure how. Are those Summa or Gerber colors, it has chrome on the bottom or base layer but not sure how they got the metal flake/texture in the Red.

He also sent 2 other molded badges that need to be converted to vinyl but he wants the same look and colors for everything.

Anyone with more thermal printing knowledge then me advise or someone willing to quote these. Don't need much maybe 5-10 of each.

Thanks

Attachments

• Allison A.jpg
    Allison A.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Allison A Back.jpg
    Allison A Back.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 60
  • Allison A old.jpg
    Allison A old.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 49

thewvsignguy

Thanks for the reply.

I know it's doming and we have done it plenty in the past. My question is what equipment was used to made the Chrome, Red and Black graphics part.

Can that look be achieved by a thermal printer? And if it can is there someone out there that can get close with the Red effect?

fresh

I don't have a thermal printer, but i'd actually guess those were screen printed.

I don't screen print either, but I'm pretty sure you can get translucent ink, which would show the flake through.

I would second the screen print. Many of these type of stickers are done in sheets. Screen print the sheets. Cut and weed. And then to a table and a doming machine. Doming machine is usually setup to do multiple stickers on a sheet at the same time.
'
Here is a good video that shows you the whole process.

[video=youtube;2IdY70D18TQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IdY70D18TQ[/video]

jfiscus

Rap Master
You could make these with a Gerber Edge, however I have no idea how they got the metallic flake in there that way.
I would bet our Epson here could make them also if we had chrome vinyl and patience testing it out, as it has the metallic ink option.
I would suggest a solvent printer with spot metallic inks, plot and then dome them. Good luck!