• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How was this effect achieved?

Devon19515

I am wanting to design a sign similar to this one with the illumination causing a drop shadow.
The big letters look dimensional and the white doesnt. I am assuming it would be glass or acrylic with LED edge lighting but I cant figure out how to get the well defined drop shadow of the text and tree logo.
Any ideas?
attachment.php

Attachments

• awesome wall sign.jpg
    awesome wall sign.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 187

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Not sure how large the sign is, but I've done similar with LEDs mounted to the backs of letters and then the glow comes out around the edges.

Devon19515

Solution?

OK, I think I've got it.
(Experiment) I engraved an "S" into acrylic with a dremel as deep as I could second surface, put a black vinyl "S" on the first surface. Spaced the acrylic 1/2" off a panel with metallic silver vinyl. Edge lit from the bottom with LED.
This has achieved the halo, cast the light shadow of an "S" onto the silver and looks awesome from the front.:Big Laugh

Chriswagner92

OK, I think I've got it.
(Experiment) I engraved an "S" into acrylic with a dremel as deep as I could second surface, put a black vinyl "S" on the first surface. Spaced the acrylic 1/2" off a panel with metallic silver vinyl. Edge lit from the bottom with LED.
This has achieved the halo, cast the light shadow of an "S" onto the silver and looks awesome from the front.:Big Laugh

Pics or it didn't happen!

Andy D

I am wanting to design a sign similar to this one with the illumination causing a drop shadow.
The big letters look dimensional and the white doesnt. I am assuming it would be glass or acrylic with LED edge lighting but I cant figure out how to get the well defined drop shadow of the text and tree logo.
Any ideas?
attachment.php

Do you have a better/larger image you could post? I would love to see it in more detail....

Andy D

I found that image on google. its low res.

Gotcha, here is a better image I found:
It looks like the "Silver Birch" is routed on the second surface with dimensional plastic letters, that are decorated with black vinyl, attached to the 1st surface.
The tree logo might only be routed on the 2nd surface, or it could have translucent white vinyl applied 1st surface too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• birch tree.jpg
    birch tree.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 150

Devon19515

Gotcha, here is a better image I found:
It looks like the "Silver Birch" is routed on the second surface with dimensional plastic letters, that are decorated with black vinyl, attached to the 1st surface.
The tree logo might only be routed on the 2nd surface, or it could have translucent white vinyl applied 1st surface too.

attachment.php
Exactly what I had figured. Thanks Andy.

Andy D

You're welcome.
Do you think they used white LED lights and the routed plastic is refracting the light, turning it blue
or is it blue LED lights?

Also, are the lighting units custom made or is that a product I could find online?

shoresigns

Not an expert on this, but my first thought was that there are no letters on the 2nd surface. The edge lighting is reflecting off the back of the 1st surface letters and casting a glow on the 2nd surface frosting. Does that make sense? I've been known to be wrong about things.

Devon19515

You're welcome.
Do you think they used white LED lights and the routed plastic is refracting the light, turning it blue
or is it blue LED lights?

Also, are the lighting units custom made or is that a product I could find online?

I tried it with red LED and got the red shadow cast on the silver metallic sub panel.
Superbrightled.com(previous comment) had some great pre-fab units for edge lighting.
I am planning on a large scale sign with this effect that would have to be custom built.
I hope the customer likes the concept so that I get to produce this design.:rock-n-roll:

Devon19515

Not an expert on this, but my first thought was that there are no letters on the 2nd surface. The edge lighting is reflecting off the back of the 1st surface letters and casting a glow on the 2nd surface frosting. Does that make sense? I've been known to be wrong about things.

I tried to get the reflection by only using the first surface letter but I couldnt get it just right.
I ended up engraving the text into the subsurface and placing a letter first surface.
the reflection/shadow on the metalic silver is the true effect I had hoped for.