• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you deal with this problem??

klemgraphics

Ok so some how I got suckered into doing wedding invitations, just the postcard style, and I have done several of them for friends of my wife. Well I just got some in last week that I had printed and this girl calls me today and says that there is a letter missing, it says followin instead of following. She said she looked at the proof and it is there on the proof, well I looked and it is not.:banghead:

There were several revisions made to these invitations and only on the last on was the "g" forgotten. I do feel partly responsible as I should know how to spell following but I did send a proof and it was approved. She seems pretty easy going about it, but I still don't like the fact that it is wrong.

They will cost me $80 to reprint and ship, so my thinking is offer to split it with her, she pays $40 and I will take care of the rest. Keep in mind I do these more as a favor than anything, not enough money being made for the aggrevation hardly.:frustrated:

Just wondering how others would handle the situation?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like your mistake if it was on all of them but the last one. You can't play mix and match with your copy and expect her to find a needle in a haystack.

I'd suck it up and foot the whole bill for HER wedding day.

Whether she is a friend, you do these as favors or whatever other reason you might have... you were trying to make money and you failed to give her what she requested. Your dime.

weaselboogie

If it were me, I might be a bit understanding, but the fact that she lied about it not being on the proof, might encourage me to tell her 'too bad'.

WrapperX

I would show her the proof, unfortunetly showing that it was wrong in the proof and that she unfortunetly approved it. (The funny thing with spelling mistakes is that our brains have been trained to recognize a word and its meaning before we actually read it. (Its how speed readers work I imagine). And then offer the split of replacing them. Its fair and its honest. And then get out of Invitation printing to avoid these kind of hassles. The last thing you need is an angry Bride/wedding party causing you strife over favors. She seems easy going, but not all of them are.

klemgraphics

Good point gino, the more I thought about it and how upset my wife is over our photographer not giving us what we expected and still making us pay for the mistake, I think I will save her and her fiance the stress and have them drop shipped to her. I know what I think of that photographer and I will never send anyone to them and discourage all prospects that I can from using them, and this is not what I want others to think of me.

luggnut

Keep in mind I do these more as a favor than anything, not enough money being made for the aggrevation hardly.

that's why i wouldn't do these as favors....

but i mispelled "independent" on a 2 sided lighted sign and they did approve the art... after the mistake was discovered they offered to split the cost..

i was doing it at a good markup, but a redo of both panels would have dented up my profits so i was glad they accepted that resolution.

so if you are doing these at a very little profit margin you need to change that and then if (when) you make a mistake it won't hurt as bad.

d fleming

Good point gino, the more I thought about it and how upset my wife is over our photographer not giving us what we expected and still making us pay for the mistake, I think I will save her and her fiance the stress and have them drop shipped to her. I know what I think of that photographer and I will never send anyone to them and discourage all prospects that I can from using them, and this is not what I want others to think of me.

Excellent choice.

klemgraphics

I would show her the proof, unfortunetly showing that it was wrong in the proof and that she unfortunetly approved it. (The funny thing with spelling mistakes is that our brains have been trained to recognize a word and its meaning before we actually read it. (Its how speed readers work I imagine). And then offer the split of replacing them. Its fair and its honest. And then get out of Invitation printing to avoid these kind of hassles. The last thing you need is an angry Bride/wedding party causing you strife over favors. She seems easy going, but not all of them are.
I know my wife seems easy going too...to everyone else at least, but as soon as that phone hangs up....all hell breaks loose. Don't know if that is how she is or not, but I really don't want to find out.

klemgraphics

that's why i wouldn't do these as favors....

but i mispelled "independent" on a 2 sided lighted sign and they did approve the art... after the mistake was discovered they offered to split the cost..

i was doing it at a good markup, but a redo of both panels would have dented up my profits so i was glad they accepted that resolution.

so if you are doing these at a very little profit margin you need to change that and then if (when) you make a mistake it won't hurt as bad.
I use to do a lot more "favors" for buddys and family, but those are always the jobs that come around to bite you from what I have found yet again.
Oh well, not my first mistake, definitely not the last.

mark in tx

Even if its just for friends, I wouldn't print wedding invitations.

Bridezilla knocking over the building and breathing fire. Jets, helicopters and tanks in a pool of molten metal.