• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"How would you do them?"

3Dsigns

I built these signs, 4 of them, 19 years ago and they need a fresh coat of paint. I gave the city a quote on restoring them about 2 months ago and finally got a call a few minutes ago. The city clerk asked me "we just want to know how you would do them". Thinking they just wanted to know what they would they would be paying for, I said we would remove the signs, one at a time, bring them to the shop, clean them, make any needed minor repairs, and re-paint. Glad I didn't go into detail because, when she asked if we could supply the color numbers I knew they were fishing for information to re-paint the signs themselves. To that I answered "If Sherwin Williams still has the color numbers on file".
I do have a certain process that I use to restore dimensional signs. It involves a certain cleaning solution, method of cleaning, certain type of paint, certain tools, certain processes etc. But I'm not about to waste my time and skills, developed over many years just so these folks can save tax money for other things....like their salaries. If they restore these themselves, they are are going to get one of two things; either they'll find out they bit off more than they wanted to chew or they'll get a really crappy job. The sad thing is, it'll probably be the latter. What say you?

Attachments

• Website Chipley.jpg
    Website Chipley.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'd tell them your process is just that, YOUR process. If they'd like to hire you, the professional, to do the work you'd be happy to outline the steps after the job is paid for and completed.

Otherwise they can pound sand and figure it out themselves.

3Dsigns

Ha! I called back, left a message with the city clerk, told them that 2 of the special-mixed paint colors were on file with Sherwin Williams, but that it was 19 years ago when they were built. Actually I think I mixed some of the colors here at the shop so they have no numbers. Anyway, she called back and gave us the job. :D

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just did this for a customer a few months back and I couldn't match the original greens on the signs, so I got close and guess what..... nobody noticed it.