• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you handle this?

Edserv

We finally, after 2 years, just finally went to a "50% deposit with balance due upon delivery" policy. No matter the past arrangements and no matter what. We also made a "sales talk" to explain this policy change. But after analyzing our receivables, and "open projects," we came to the conclusion that even if we lose as much as 25% of our business, we'll hopefully come out ahead (based on wasted design and production time, and receivables management.) We don't have much bad debt, but the management side of this sucks.
For those of you who have seen my posts, I'm normally all about getting new business, but we finally decided that we were ready to test our clients' willingness to "put their money where their mouth is."
Of course, if this back-fires, I'll gladly go back to the previous client issues. I just don't think it's fair that most industries demand payment in full, and we're all trying to do whatever it takes to get the order!
Good luck, I'll let you know the outcome (already tested today by a good client who, in the past, caused a few issues, and were not happy with the cc or check/deposit up front!)
Chris

petepaz

usually if the customer appro ves the proof but it was our mistake we will spit it with them or give them a discount just so we cover the materials

TheSnowman

I feel like all you guys that always say "get a signed proof" are also saying make it right. That's like a total conflict of opinion. I'd maybe work something out with them, but they approved a proof that had a word in it that's spelled two different ways. Once it's approved, it's their problem. I don't order anything custom w/o signing off on it, and they won't make it until I do...even with my subs...so it's the customers problem, or why even bother having proofs?

Firefox

They gave us their name, which is "XXXX Jewelers". We created a proof and sent it to them. It was approved, so we went and got the panels, printed the materials, wrapped them, and re-installed. A few days later they called to complain that we had spelled their name incorrectly. They said it was supposed to be "XXXX Jewellers". I've never seen it spelled with 2 LL's, but apparently that is an accepted, although uncommon, spelling.
Thoughts?

They asked for "Jewelers" and that's what you provided on the proof they signed?

Then they said it was supposed to be "Jewellers"?

If this is the case ask them how you did the job wrong? You did exactly as asked. As a good gesture you could offer to fix it at cost.

Asking them what they would do if they made a custom piece of jewelery to customer specifications might work but they might also have a 100% satisfaction guarantee... After all they stand a chance of selling the piece to another customer or they can always use the stones and metals on another project, plus they also have a mega mark up on custom jewelery that you do not have so that might just backfire on you. You can't reuse your materials for another customer like they can so it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Remember that cost is ALL that it cost you to re-do the job, new proof, materials, time, travel, etc.

andy

They asked you to make a sign in America...... so what if Jewlery has two L's in Britain? We don't used American words like TIRES or COLOR because this isn't America.

American spelling looks great in AMERICA.... in Britain it makes the sign maker look stupid... it's as if you can't spell at all and rely on the built in spell checkers which are always set to American English by default.