• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you make these signs?

Malkin

Just got an order for 25 more of these (did just 5 before).

24" x 30' x .080" aluminum blanks coming from Grimco. We used vinyl letters before (cast, Gerber 220 series). This time I am considering using solvent printed with lamination instead. We keep IJ180c v3 with 8518 lam on hand, so that is what I would use. Our requirements are that the signs be long lasting, so no calendared vinyl.

I am interested in hearing how others would approach this fairly typical sign job.

Thanks,
-Ted

Attachments

• VA No Firearms.jpg
    VA No Firearms.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 96

Pat Whatley

Our requirements are that the signs be long lasting, so no calendared vinyl.

That eliminates digital printing right there.

At 25 signs you probably should look at screen printing. If you can't find a merchant here to print .080 get a price from Grimco. Most people don't know that Grimco does custom printing and their prices are pretty reasonable.

Or you can do them in vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We'd either screen them or flatbed print them.

We're starting to flatbed print things that we once screened to save time and money.

We're doing a job right now for 50 signs-double sided one color and it's actually cheaper for us to print then screen it and we offer both in-house.

It might not last quite as long, but nothing anymore today is expected to last more than five years.

Malkin

I should have been more specific with the longevity. We would expect the signs to last 5 years with minimal damage from exposure. Anything past that would just be bonus. So I would just want the best method to achieve that goal.

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Pat: What is the usual lifespan for eco-solvent digital printing (using a cast vinyl & lam)? I do realize it's going to vary a lot, but how long do you bank on it lasting?
Also what about a worst case scenario: Full color print facing south (gets the most sun around here) with no shade.

Thanks in advance.

luggnut

What is the usual lifespan for eco-solvent digital printing (using a cast vinyl & lam)? I do realize it's going to vary a lot, but how long do you bank on it lasting?
Also what about a worst case scenario: Full color print facing south (gets the most sun around here) with no shade.

i have had considerable fading on a wrap i did within 3 years.. it was 3m180c with the 8518, solvent print (megaink). i was shocked when i saw the van those 2-3 years later and how it had obviously faded. but i also have signs with 3651 and 210 that have been going on for 4-5 years and still look good. i guess the sun exposure and the colors in the print (type of ink) all play a factor in longevity?

i usually say prints last 3-5 years to customers....

if i thought i would catch grief if these didn't last at least 5 years i would have them screened or cast cut vinyl.

Pat Whatley

Price it to them both ways and let them know what to expect from each.

I'd expect digital to last 3 years before noticeable fading, 5 years before they looked like they needed to be replaced.

Using a good cast vinyl I'd expect a MINIMUM of 8 years before you'd have even minor issues.

Screen printing will depend a lot on the inks but most of the signs we've printed are holding up longer than the aluminum. Once the baked enamel finish starts chalking it's all downhill from there. I've got a group of parking signs right up the street that we screenprinted in 1995. The printing still looks good but the white background is deteriorating and "staining" the printing as it washes off.

My personal feeling on this, if you did it with cast cut vinyl for the first few that you did for the customer that is what they are expecting for the rest of them. If you do choose to do it a different way I would be sure to let them know first and also let them know that there may be a slight color difference from the first bunch you did for them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Do them in calendered.
They only have to last until Dec 2012

wayne k
guam usa

I'd print an order of that size on cast - with a cast lam.

Malkin

Thanks all for chiming in.

Because this customer (local VA) doesn't seem to fussy on details, I'll seriously consider screenprinting. The 150 sq ft of digital printing adds up cost wise, I'll bet the screened cost will be pretty reasonable & possibly last longer as well.

Also we are getting a little busier and I could make better use of my time.

Just the time it takes to post this and read the comments they could have been done in vinyl. Maybe screen be less but if you dont do it in house, how much time and $ do you really save? 25 signs? 1-2 hours cut, installed, invoiced.

Just my .o2 cents

pointjockey

as long as the customer gets whats he is expecting, I would produce them in the method that would yield me the most dollars....I'm liking Screen Printing. I would also let the customer know that he would get a nice price break at 50 signs instead of 25.

johnnysigns

I'd do cut vinyl if it were me probably. All the setup for screen printing (25) is pretty high. If I didn't care how long they lasted I'd just do them on a UV flatbed.