• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 5500 60" - Is it worth?

GeneralJR

Hey, I've come across a HP 5500 60" printer in a local printer equipment store. The owner is asking about 5 grand for it.

My question is, is it worth? I've seen the printer and it is in good condition, also I've seen a high resolution photo picture printed on paper and the quality was excellent.

I need something that will print on banners, regular calendered vinyl and cast vinyl. Is this a good printer for it if I laminate, or i'm better off finding a solvent ink printer?

I'm interested because the guy is local and if something goes wrong, he is right arround the corner.

Any advice will be greatly appreciate.

mikefine

There are a lot of ways to answer that. The HP 5500 is great because you have no need for ventilation, and you're not breathing solvent fumes.

There is a cast vinyl you can use with the HP to do partial wraps, although it is less cost effective than solvent.

For printing banners, it would cost less to outsource than your raw materials.

As far as $5k goes, you can buy distributor refurbished for less.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
HP-5500's are great start up machines that can handle just about every application from top to bottom. Its highly recommended you have a laminator as well, not only will it give added finishes and durability to your prints but the profit is very good almost more then the prints sometimes. $5k is high though I know I can get you one for less if your interested.

Josh
714-524-3100

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
There is a 2Mil cast vinyl with air release to do full blown wraps also. No one really knows about it yet as I had it created for one specific client but its readily available to everyone now I just havent had the time to promote it.

martingraphics

There is a 2Mil cast vinyl with air release to do full blown wraps also. No one really knows about it yet as I had it created for one specific client but its readily available to everyone now I just havent had the time to promote it.

Will this work with my Epson 9600? Also what type of laminate do you recommend?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Are you using the permachrome inks? As long as you have the UV inks it will run dandy, you must use a 2 Mil cast laminate it doesnt really matter which one you use as long as it is a 2 Mil cast.

GeneralJR

Thank You for all replies...

Is there a printer arround this price for long term outdoor signage? Like I said, I'm most interest in banners, calendered and cast vinyl. most of the jobs I get is for outside, like vehicle graphics, windows, banners... Currently i'm using my vinyl cutter to do it and when there is a full color image I outsource, but sometimes is incovenient and I cant offer fast service this way.

APC Tech NE

I have a fully reconditioned Mimaki JV3-160S 63" solvent machine for sale for 7500 if you are interested. You will have to pick it up Boston. Tall Ships are in town!

Artildawn

Refurbished the HP's are usually in the $2500-$3500 range. 5K is definitely high. Research the ink and printhead costs as well. Prices range from 90-270 depending OEM or not. The prints quality is very nice, but as already stated it's not recommend for long-term out door use.

Brandon708

5k is very expensive for a Used 5500. Especially if the ink levels are not full. New inks for this machine would run you around $1,500