• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 5500 - Converting to UV and Media Questiosn

rdm01

Hey there 5500 experts, a few questions.

We have a 5500 dye, and a 5500 UV. The UV is currently down, and has been so for over a year (the printer isn't recognizing the print heads, even when replacing brand new ones).

The dye is starting to act up and it has me thinking, what would it take to convert the dye to UV, and is it an operation that one could manage to take on without having a tech come out. Has anybody done this. I have done some pretty technical stuff with solvent printers, just never touched this one.

Also, our clients love the HP PhotoSatin, but we are finding it hard to come by. We have had two vendors that regularly give us good pricing, but sometimes we will go to order a few rolls of the 50" and they can't get it in for weeks. Anyone know of a good place to buy, or perhaps a good alternative to the instant dry photo satin? Thanks!

Billct2

Converting to UV involves switching the ink tube assembly, installing UV ink and print heads (if they don't come with the ink tubes). It's a fairly simple process. There's a vendor here, Bigfish, who may be able to help with the media

Bly

You need the different inkset tube set, heads and ink.
It's a DIY job and takes about 45 minutes.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yeah you need a conversion kit with lines inks and heads, I can get all that for ya no problem. I also carry every type of media including 2 mil cast air release car wrap vinyl for inkjet machines like the 5500.

Billct2

you can buy the real manual for this machine on ebay, downloadable. It has good step by step instructions.