• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP color inconsistency on a print, gone from purple to grey--see pics

depps74

I have an HP latex 315 I am running ONYX. A couple months ago I printed about 2000 stickers for a client on 3M ij35c. The bleed border and base (lightest parts) were color matched from the color matching system. The overall image came out perfect and had a purple tone to it. Today the client reordered these stickers and the prints are now printing with a grey tone but the bleed border and lightest parts are perfect matches. It is almost as if the print has lost all its purple and is just printing an entirely different hue...

Things I have tried:
different recipes
kicking up the M and C
tried as jpeg and tiff
tried a different roll

Whats weird too is that on my MAC its purple when viewed in illustrator. But when I view it in a preview window on the Mac it looks grey and it looks grey in the preview windows on the PC running onyx.

HELP!

IMG_3407.jpg
IMG_3409.jpg
IMG_3405.jpg

depps74

It's a print head issue. Replace the printhead. Run the cleaning and tests, then check which needs replacing.
Thats what I thought at first, but other prints are going fine, and all the PH tests are running totally normal, no broken lines and force drip is all below 20.

depps74

You have done color calibration?
Yes did a color calibration, 2x. And tried a new roll of 3M. In the end I used the "all ICC profiles off" option in Onyx and it printed way better, but this only seems like a bandaid. Originally these prints came out great using my 3M Ij35c profile (out of the box from 3M profile), but a few months later the prints came out soooo different. I am totally stumped. The different white points are one has backer paper the other does not.

dypinc

Yes did a color calibration, 2x. And tried a new roll of 3M. In the end I used the "all ICC profiles off" option in Onyx and it printed way better, but this only seems like a bandaid. Originally these prints came out great using my 3M Ij35c profile (out of the box from 3M profile), but a few months later the prints came out soooo different. I am totally stumped. The different white points are one has backer paper the other does not.
Sounds like you profile got hosed in someway. I have heard that about Onyx. I would just create a new profile, or else examine if something in you CM setting is set wrong.

depps74

Sounds like you profile got hosed in someway. I have heard that about Onyx. I would just create a new profile, or else examine if something in you CM setting is set wrong.
Thank you. Thats what I figured. I am new to creating new profiles, any links you know of that offer good tutorials on how to do it? As I understand I basically clone a profile and run through the menus and test prints to find the perfect triad of saturation, temperature and pass count?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thank you. Thats what I figured. I am new to creating new profiles, any links you know of that offer good tutorials on how to do it? As I understand I basically clone a profile and run through the menus and test prints to find the perfect triad of saturation, temperature and pass count?
Or just use the ones that you already had working....

dypinc

Here is an example of the problem created by people who use the wrong terminology, referring to the Media Preset as a Profile.

By your statement "I used the "all ICC profiles off" option in Onyx and it printed way better" it sounds like your Media Preset (print mode, and other setting on the printer) is fine. It is you ICC profile in Onyx that could be the problem. Leave you Media Preset along and just create a new ICC profile in ONYX.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Here is an example of the problem created by people who use the wrong terminology, referring to the Media Preset as a Profile.

By your statement "I used the "all ICC profiles off" option in Onyx and it printed way better" it sounds like your Media Preset (print mode, and other setting on the printer) is fine. It is you ICC profile in Onyx that could be the problem. Leave you Media Preset along and just create a new ICC profile in ONYX.
You know I doubt he has a spectro or he would have probably done it already...

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
In the case of Onyx, the company referred to their setups as “profiles” from their beginning and at a time years before ICC profiles were commonly a component. Other RIP companies will use a different term for their printer setup “environments.” Also in the case of Onyx, "media preset" is probably unfamiliar but "Quick Set" clearly is familiar.

dypinc

In the case of Onyx, the company referred to their setups as “profiles” from their beginning and at a time years before ICC profiles were commonly a component. Other RIP companies will use a different term for their printer setup “environments.” Also in the case of Onyx, "media preset" is probably unfamiliar but "Quick Set" clearly is familiar.
I was referring to what HP calls the media setting on the printer. This has nothing to do with the ICC profiles that are generated by Onyx.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I was referring to what HP calls the media setting on the printer. This has nothing to do with the ICC profiles that are generated by Onyx.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06559424
The HP Customer Support web page specifically refers to the OP’s printer model series as using “a correct media profile” and “ICC profile” as separate entities.

Also, a training video for the same topic makes a point of using the word “profile” differently than the word “preset.”

Both of the above sources explain much of what the OP is after as far as…
I am new to creating new profiles, any links you know of that offer good tutorials on how to do it? As I understand I basically clone a profile and run through the menus and test prints to find the perfect triad of saturation, temperature and pass count?

depps74

Ugh, I am so confused. I will PAY $$$ a tutor for this. Anyone interested? I am dead serious as my clients are all museums that demand color consistency and it drives me crazy as I have no idea what I am doing.

Precision

So how many printheads have you changed. I told you earlier it is a print head issue. We run an HP360. Everytime we have had our greys shift to purple it has been a print head. Everytime.

But what do I know.

Heybetty

So how many printheads have you changed. I told you earlier it is a print head issue. We run an HP360. Everytime we have had our greys shift to purple it has been a print head. Everytime.

But what do I know.
Good question! How much ink has your Printheads fired? Any ink cartridges expired?

depps74

Good question! How much ink has your Printheads fired? Any ink cartridges expired?

But what do I know.
All the heads are firing proper as far as the printhead test and force drop test indicates, (do your tests indicate this when greys shift? just curious cause this means the tests are useles) but the most important difference (conflicting circumstance) is that other files are printing fine, it only is happening is on this particular file. I am going to try and find a similar file /color structure to run. I suppose that would diagnose if its the printhead as your indicating because the tests say its not.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
All the heads are firing proper as far as the printhead test and force drop test indicates, (do your tests indicate this when greys shift? just curious cause this means the tests are useles) but the most important difference (conflicting circumstance) is that other files are printing fine, it only is happening is on this particular file. I am going to try and find a similar file /color structure to run. I suppose that would diagnose if its the printhead as your indicating because the tests say its not.
None of the tests really simulate printing, just show you that in theory the heads work and nozzles are open. But once you start printing the head is contantly working and new issues can show up that don't show otherwise.

So... just tell us how much usage you have on the printheads? How old are they?

As you have issues with grey like this, I suspect you have a issue with the LM-LC head.

You can try to print 100% CMYK blocks and 10% CM blocks to see if any issues show on that. It needs to be printed with color correction OFF.
If I had to guess, you will see some issue on the 10% CM...