• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designjet 5500 Postscript/Non

knucklehead

Looking at a guys very lightly used designjet 60 inch 5500. Is in pristine condition. He said it's only been used for printing proofs.

It's a pigment model, for indoor, and limited outdoor prints, which is what I want. And slow, which is relative terminology. He doesn't seem to know if it's a postscript, or non-postscript, and I don't exactly know the difference between the two either.

So, would someone enlighten me as to the difference between the two. I figure it has something to do with the RIP? Thanks Mike

And I'll add, it's pretty affordable too.

Bly

The PS version has an inbuilt RIP.
I'm not sure how effective or fast it is.
You'll need a proper RIP to run the non PS.
I had a couple of non PS units and they ran well and quick enough off Postershop.

kanini

Great machines, especially with the "UV"-inks (not the dye). It's not THAT slow and great quality! If you find it affordable and in good condition it could be a good buy. I've used the PS version years ago and it worked really well, lacking a lot of settings from a separate RIP though, but it works...

Aklaim

It will say right on the machine if its post script or not. Where it says 5000 or 5500 if its a post script machine it read 5000ps or 5500ps.

Billct2

Yep, look for the "ps". I have printed tons on them and they are a good dependable machine for what they do. Merchant Bigfish has lots of supplies for them and there are others who also have aftermarket inks.