• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP FB750 and FB550 - What's new?

Hello All -

Over the past few months we've been looking for a new flatbed machine and are considering the HP Scitex machines. I noticed at the HP Site now has the Scitex models 750 and 550, what's different about these new models?

Thanks!

DS-MATT

wunder

respect FB750 ultimate one:notworthy: has a tabletop roll holder and new rollers....AHHH OK.....the inks become new names too :toasting:

FrankW

A new design for the touchscreen interface, more like the Latex 300, is also established :D .

I have seen a flyer, the inks have still the same names (FB250 inks)?

They have in addition a new carriage design, should minimize possibilites of vertical banding as far as I have heard (not shure). In May is an exhibition in germany ... I shurely will have a look on it.

wunder

Original HP inkcartridgesG0Y93A HP FB794 3-liter Cyan
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y94A HP FB794 3-liter Magenta
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y95A HP FB794 3-liter Yellow
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y96A HP FB794 3-liter Black
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y97A HP FB794 3-liter Light Cyan
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y98A HP FB794 3-liter Light Magenta
Scitex Ink CartridgeCQ123A HP FB251 2-liter White Scitex Ink Cartridge

we see us at fespa cologne ;-)

PrintItBig

FrankW

Original HP inkcartridgesG0Y93A HP FB794 3-liter Cyan
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y94A HP FB794 3-liter Magenta
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y95A HP FB794 3-liter Yellow
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y96A HP FB794 3-liter Black
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y97A HP FB794 3-liter Light Cyan
Scitex Ink CartridgeG0Y98A HP FB794 3-liter Light Magenta
Scitex Ink CartridgeCQ123A HP FB251 2-liter White Scitex Ink Cartridge

we see us at fespa cologne ;-)

Really strange: when searching for FB550 or FB750, I find Flyers with FB250-Inks mentioned. When searching for the article numbers you have posted here, I will find exactly the same flyers, but with FB794-inks mentioned.

There is something confusing :omg:

But this would not be the first wrong information (even if 250 or 794) I need to forward to our HP Sales representative (we are dealers in switzerland):they still write about 4 (FB550) or 6 (FB750) sheets at the same time for printing, but since firmware 03.06 the limit of sheets at the same time is 9. I don't think that they have reduced them again for the new models.

To be honest it doesn't exactly look groundbreaking...

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2013/HPatPRINT13/ScitexFB700.pdf
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2015/HPISA2015/HPScitexFB750.pdf

I was hoping for new head
Higher resolution
Big jump in speed
Less banding
Maybe latex ink or LED curing

But it just looks like it's got a pretty marginal speed increase and a new roll holder?

Maybe I'm missing something internal which will have improved the print quality?

There are a series of evolutionary advances with the new FB550 and FB750 models.
There is a new rail (beam) which is much more rigid and less prone to flexing, and a new carriage which will reduce horizontal and vertical banding artifacts. There are some speed improvements, along with the other new functionality that has been previously mentioned.

MithosTheHero

experience from ISA

Saw the new fbs at HP's booth. Most of what was said appears to be true. Seems to be minor incremental things that in practice aren't huge game changers. The only thing I liked was the new roll to roll setup that lets you just drop rolls on a quick little roller assembly that sits on the tables. Making media switches faster, and it comes with a roller to help hold down roll to roll medias better. They claim that its a x50 exclusive but frankly the only thing you would need to do is to drill holes into your tables to make the rollers slot into place. Otherwise it would bolt right up. That and they beveled the table rollers. This for me is the most important improvement out of everything they listed. Haha.

FrankW

About the ink (the confusing issue above): it will be the FB250-ink as it was before. The other ink mentioned should be a mistake.

jkline

HP vs OCE vs CET

Looking at these 3 flatbed printers, new to the game, whats anyone's feedback? Opinions Pros/Cons?

nate

Looking at these 3 flatbed printers, new to the game, whats anyone's feedback? Opinions Pros/Cons?

I've got a HP FB700 and a CET Q5 5x10. Hands down the CET wins in every category. Dave (the owner) is an upstanding gentleman, and builds a great machine.

Any questions PM me for a faster response.

DPitch

Saw the new fbs at HP's booth. Most of what was said appears to be true. Seems to be minor incremental things that in practice aren't huge game changers. The only thing I liked was the new roll to roll setup that lets you just drop rolls on a quick little roller assembly that sits on the tables. Making media switches faster, and it comes with a roller to help hold down roll to roll medias better. They claim that its a x50 exclusive but frankly the only thing you would need to do is to drill holes into your tables to make the rollers slot into place. Otherwise it would bolt right up. That and they beveled the table rollers. This for me is the most important improvement out of everything they listed. Haha.

Did HP offer a show discount on the FB550?

wunder

I've got a HP FB700 and a CET Q5 5x10. Hands down the CET wins in every category. Dave (the owner) is an upstanding gentleman, and builds a great machine.

Any questions PM me for a faster response.

Nate.......has the CET Printers a Jetmapping Function ? Internal Camera System ? complete unattend clean & adjustment feature (AUTOTUNE) ? I read some Datasheets but nothing find about.

So you say "wins in every category" there is 2 100% different concept of machines :toasting:
Quality of machines is not from the used Printhead meaningful....i see CET not in the near from a FB500/700

nate

Nate.......has the CET Printers a Jetmapping Function ? Internal Camera System ? complete unattend clean & adjustment feature (AUTOTUNE) ? I read some Datasheets but nothing find about.

So you say "wins in every category" there is 2 100% different concept of machines :toasting:
Quality of machines is not from the used Printhead meaningful....i see CET not in the near from a FB500/700

#1 I am speaking from a production stand point. But #2-- It doesn't need an internal camera or auto cleaning. Our maintenance is simple-- purge and wipe once a shift. Takes all of thirty seconds to do. And it doesn't need a camera to register the media. Pins up, place the media, turn the vacuum on, pins down and hit print. This takes all of five seconds to load.

Again, we have both machines. Unlike many others I can make this comparison with real world usage.

wunder

#1 I am speaking from a production stand point. But #2-- It doesn't need an internal camera or auto cleaning. Our maintenance is simple-- purge and wipe once a shift. Takes all of thirty seconds to do. And it doesn't need a camera to register the media. Pins up, place the media, turn the vacuum on, pins down and hit print. This takes all of five seconds to load.

Again, we have both machines. Unlike many others I can make this comparison with real world usage.

sorry nate but iam disagree with your simple statement.
in fakt is the camera is a very helpfull part for auto registration/adjustment bidi/head to head aligment and full autojetmapping... So you have on all media everytime the best quality. This is a feature for a real production machine.
In printing mode you can load next sheet and automatic reprint aso.... So many features thats never find on machines in this class....so you can adjust the FB thats around every 50 print make a full autoset adjustment and this is fully unattend and always with jetmapping......so cloggeg or missed or deflacted nozzles will 100% mapped so the quality is in productionmode always the same output from beginning the print and last print after 200 sheet you find no quality different.

i will not say FB series the best machine but in his class and if we compare with CET 100% the better choice.

chafro

FB's are solid printers but they are outdated, there are many better technologies at the moment printing better and faster.

Hotspur

Fb550 & fb750

FB's are solid printers but they are outdated, there are many better technologies at the moment printing better and faster.

I think you need to re-read the original post - how can the printers involved be outdated when they are so new they haven't been released yet!

Seriously though in essence the FB range to date is a reliable cost-efficient UV printer for the Signage market - it has a very small footprint, excellent ink adhesion and is very easy to maintain and use.

To date the IQ has not been able to match an Arizona etc for very high quality photo-type work but it's not designed for that.

Similarly it has a belt rather than a fixed bed and so is designed for sheets and rolls rather than objects like a fixed bed machine can handle.

It doesn't have LED light so it runs a little warmer than LED bulbs so you might find very thin card or thin plastic might bend a little more - but it has two rollers to hold things flat as well as a vacuum so it rarely causes issues.

If you print large sheets 4x8 etc then the FB has no speed benefits over a fixed bed machine but with small cut sheets it is much quicker in terms of workflow - all the taping and loading / removing you need to do on a fixed bed machine with multiple small sheets makes the FB a better prospect for this.

Finally it is an HP - full of clever technology and a huge support network. There are plenty of alternatives but many choose HP for chiefly this reason.

The FB has sold in its thousands and is a reliable and proven workhorse.

I don't know the CET personally - it may be a great printer but would I want to take the risk with my hard-earned money on a company & product that may not be around to support me in 3-5 years time?

So there are a lot of things that make the current FB a great choice even if it may not be as quick or IQ as high as other offerings.

Now to get to the point - the new FB550 and 750 have addressed both these areas - the IQ has improved (I've seen samples and can attest to this) and the speed has increased by about 20% from what I can see.

Thus the new FB range upgrades make it a serious contender with other current alternatives.

LarryB

I have had my FB500 for 2 years now and in that time have had 2 service calls. It runs 8+ hours a day and a true workhorse. I'm not sure the same reliability can be said about CET.

chafro

I think you need to re-read the original post - how can the printers involved be outdated when they are so new they haven't been released yet!

Seriously though in essence the FB range to date is a reliable cost-efficient UV printer for the Signage market - it has a very small footprint, excellent ink adhesion and is very easy to maintain and use.

To date the IQ has not been able to match an Arizona etc for very high quality photo-type work but it's not designed for that.

Similarly it has a belt rather than a fixed bed and so is designed for sheets and rolls rather than objects like a fixed bed machine can handle.

It doesn't have LED light so it runs a little warmer than LED bulbs so you might find very thin card or thin plastic might bend a little more - but it has two rollers to hold things flat as well as a vacuum so it rarely causes issues.

If you print large sheets 4x8 etc then the FB has no speed benefits over a fixed bed machine but with small cut sheets it is much quicker in terms of workflow - all the taping and loading / removing you need to do on a fixed bed machine with multiple small sheets makes the FB a better prospect for this.

Finally it is an HP - full of clever technology and a huge support network. There are plenty of alternatives but many choose HP for chiefly this reason.

The FB has sold in its thousands and is a reliable and proven workhorse.

I don't know the CET personally - it may be a great printer but would I want to take the risk with my hard-earned money on a company & product that may not be around to support me in 3-5 years time?

So there are a lot of things that make the current FB a great choice even if it may not be as quick or IQ as high as other offerings.

Now to get to the point - the new FB550 and 750 have addressed both these areas - the IQ has improved (I've seen samples and can attest to this) and the speed has increased by about 20% from what I can see.

Thus the new FB range upgrades make it a serious contender with other current alternatives.

i wouldn't trust CET either, yet.

As I said FB's are solid printers, it has been proven. But it has stayed behind in quality and speed for the dollar, drops are to big and the printer is slow and bands very easy if you try to speed it up. OCE, Vutek, Durst, swissqprint has good options with quality the FB's won't get close. FB's are good investments but there are some other good options in the market.