• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L25500 printer head bad, REALLY?

gnemmas

Is this HP's profit making scheme? Please share your experience.

Does HP programmed the print heads to cease printing by printing volume? It varies from 4500ml to 5700ml.

It was printing perfectly prior to that.

You would think it would have some evidence of bad printing when print head is going bad. Not in our cases.

How can you tell if a printhead is bad?

signswi

Yes, consumables are how HP makes profit, they take a loss (most likely) on the machine itself. Which is why it's so cheap. They have the same profit model in all of their printer divisions (the only division really making HP any money).

I'm not a tech so I can't say one way or another about the heads but price it as a cost of business and move on, you probably got the machine for a song. You can pay off one of those things in a couple of days basically.

Could also be that they don't want the quality to degrade for you at all, so when it starts to show signs that it's about to it tells you to replace. Which frankly is a pretty good way to do things, who wants to put out increasingly crappy prints until a head is totally dead? Not anyone who cares about quality.

jayhawksigns

That's more volume of ink then my supplier told me to use when figuring ink costs, so your costs would already be lower then what I figured as worse case going in.

Its troubling to me that people spend as much as they do on equipment without knowing what to expect with it.

HulkSmash

They recommend you change the heads out every 4-5 cartridges. But the tech told me, just clean the bottom of the heads when it says replace, and it'll last a few more months.

so far so good for us.

njshorts

That's more volume of ink then my supplier told me to use when figuring ink costs, so your costs would already be lower then what I figured as worse case going in.

Its troubling to me that people spend as much as they do on equipment without knowing what to expect with it.

this... every sales rep i've spoken with has advised to replace em every 4-5 cartridges and include the head replacement in with the ink cost to make accounting and costing a bit easier. half of them advised cleaning them for a longer life like coloradosigns said.

Typestries

These are low, for us at least. We have gone well over 10k% used, which coincidentally coincides mathematically 1:1 with mL used. HP typical.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 72

gnemmas

You mean we commercial users are dumb that can not tell when print heads are going bad? Normally, (as with Mimaki and Mutoh), we see the evident from the prints, so we clean or soak or replace printheads.

My prints were perfect when the printer demand new printhead and we can not print except putting in a new printhead. Lead me to wonder, how does it determined that I need new printheads?

Why would anyone replace the prinheads every 4 - 5 cartridges while printing is still perfect? If we choose to live with couple of clogged nozzles, what's that to do with HP? It is not like engine oil that it would blow up the engine.

Mimaki & Mutoh printheads last a lot longer though a bit hard to install. So the selling point of ease of changing printhead while we are forced to replace prematurely, might not be a favorable comparison to the other printers.

TheSellOut

from my understanding the print heads are a fraction of the cost of these other printers...another selling point