• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L25500 - Printhead Drop Detector

VTSigns

Just started to get some banding in my prints. Printer is out of warranty. All printheads are new. Talked with HP and they are saying there is a drop detection sensor that might be bad. Anyone had this part replaced? Does anyone have a service manual that might show to replace this part? Parts only $60 but the labor is going to be several hundred and HP of course is recommending a tech come replace it. Any help would be appreciated.

dypinc

What maintenance have you done? Nozzle check? If good, Alignment? etc.

Last edited:

VTSigns

I ran a test plot through Clean Printhead menu and also did a clean printed. I have cleaned the funnel and that's about it. Any recommendations?

Tim Aucoin

Do you have a SERVICE MANUAL for the printer?
There is a section that describes how to run a drop detector test (PAGE 165) as well as a section describing how to replace the drop detector (PAGE 377).

It is a 636 page manual full of great DIY information for those who are brave enough to do the work themselves! :Big Laugh

tattoo.dan

Hey Tim, do you have a good source for this manual? Did a quick google and didn't come up with anything right away. If not I can do a more intense search later..thanks!

jayhawksigns

I did a google search for HP L25500 Service Manual and it was the last link on the page, it went to a .ca website, it was a direct link to a pdf.

Not sure if posting it directly is kosher since another site I found removed it due to HPs request.

ProColorGraphics

I have it too if anyone needs it. After looking through it, not sure if I would want to chance taking it apart. Which is why I paid the extra ~$250 to have HP come install the Maintenance Kit #3.

It is nice having ALL of the error codes listed so you know what they are, and having some suggestions to fix them.

VTSigns

HP is wanting $500 to replace the drop detection sensor. The part is only $60. What exactly is the Maintenance Kit #3?

VTSigns

I think I have narrowed down the problem to be an issue that is only present the first time I print in the morning. After a bad print I did 2 cleaning cycles and now it prints just fine. Talked with HP again and they guy I spoke with told me to switch my sleep time from 30 mins to 120 mins (not sure why). He said that there was something with the new firmware that needs to allow the machine a longer cool down time (sleep time) in order for air to not be introduced into the print heads. The cool down time didn't really make sense but air in the printhead did. Anyone had issues with prints only on the first try in the mornings? Anyone else heard of an explanation similar to what HP gave me?

Tim Aucoin

I think I have narrowed down the problem to be an issue that is only present the first time I print in the morning. After a bad print I did 2 cleaning cycles and now it prints just fine. Talked with HP again and they guy I spoke with told me to switch my sleep time from 30 mins to 120 mins (not sure why). He said that there was something with the new firmware that needs to allow the machine a longer cool down time (sleep time) in order for air to not be introduced into the print heads. The cool down time didn't really make sense but air in the printhead did. Anyone had issues with prints only on the first try in the mornings? Anyone else heard of an explanation similar to what HP gave me?

Haven't seen or heard any of these issues. Then again, I am not running the latest firmware either. I am hesitant to upgrade the firmware when the printer seems to be running just fine for now. :noway: I guess if there ever comes a time when I'm "forced" to do a firmware upgrade due to specific issues, then I would do what I need to do, but to me it sounds like an upgrade now would perhaps cause new issues??

And just my opinion... $500 to replace the part doesn't sound too unreasonable considering how complex it looks to do yourself. Plus, if anything goes wrong when you do it yourself, it could lead to more expensive fixes. If something goes wrong when HP is doing the replacement, well then, it's their issue, not yours! Just food for thought!

ProColorGraphics

HP is wanting $500 to replace the drop detection sensor. The part is only $60. What exactly is the Maintenance Kit #3?

There are (3) maintenance kits on the printer. #3 consists of a filter, fan and a sensor. From what I can tell, it is the one that "fills" up first. That one came due at about 52k square feet, where the first (2) are only at 10%.