• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 800 upgrade to Canon Colorado 1650

victor bogdanov

we also have another concern, as we using a very similar media with these specfication (20 oz. (457g/m2) Type II), if there is a media crash will the ph get damaged.
I print similar materials, head crashed are very rare, most of the time the lamp hits before the head carriage. I had maybe 1-2 times when the material touches the actual heads, the other times the machine stops as soon as the carriage touches

Shariff

I would say that this depends a lot on the print speed and, generaly said, any media crash, no matter what the print media is, can potentially damage the ph. But this question is a bit like how bad you will be injured if a car hits you when you cross the street. And whatever answer you get you will still cross the streets :)
Yes we understand that, the reason why we bring this up is cos we had a 315 and 310... and those printer were like tanks... how many ever times we had media crashes, the ph keep running with no visible color inconsistencies. It was like nothing even happened to them.

I heard the 1650 did not truly solve the wrap vinyl problems of the 1640 (much less of a problem but still a problem sometimes). I cannot confirm, but maybe look into that first. I'm sure others on here could advise better. I also heard the 700 and 800 are hot garbage so idk.

Zhivko Yanakiev

Yes we understand that, the reason why we bring this up is cos we had a 315 and 310... and those printer were like tanks... how many ever times we had media crashes, the ph keep running with no visible color inconsistencies. It was like nothing even happened to them.
In my experience the media crashes I have with the 1650 for a year I can easily achieve in less than a week with the Latex 800. The print carriage is build so that there are mirors on both sides, then comes the metal plate arround the ph and this gives you about 150mm (hello form Europe :) ) on each side from far left/right edge of the carriage to the nearest located ph. I remember only one really bad crash which left me some white hair (on my beard), but eventually all the nozzles were back after some time with intensive printing. So it is not among the things that really bother me when talking about 1650.

Last edited:

OprintLee

I'm happy printing wallpaper at 600sq ft per hr, perfect panel length and color consistency. All I see is panel length and color consistency complaints from latex users trying to print wallpaper. Ive had 0 downtime in a year/400k sq/ft of using the Colorado.
did u mean colorado color consistency is better than hp latex as i have one latex L570. sometimes got color matching problem while printing same design that require more than 100pcs. when i complaint to technicians, they always ask me to change printhead,change this change that in order to keep color consistent . they would suggest me to change all printhead when we star to print a big job with same design.

victor bogdanov

did u mean colorado color consistency is better than hp latex as i have one latex L570. sometimes got color matching problem while printing same design that require more than 100pcs. when i complaint to technicians, they always ask me to change printhead,change this change that in order to keep color consistent . they would suggest me to change all printhead when we star to print a big job with same design.
Yes you get the same exact colors on the colorado. Disposable thermal heads on hp latex vs much longer life piezoelectric on colorado

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Hi Shariff.
I don't think you should bother about the ph, especially if you are buying a new machine. This thing is build to last. I believe that when the time for ph replacement comes they will have paid off. One thing you should consider is that every time you put fresh ink in the machine it takes its date of expire plus the one of the ink you have in the system and calculates another one that differs from what you have on the ink label. My advice is not to overstock with ink because you might end up with ink containters which you can't use.
I am operating with both, Latex 800W and Colorado 1650, for a bit over 2 years and I am facing the machines' differences on a daily basis. I would describe the HP's build quality as mediocre. But it works...somehow. The 1650, on the other hand, might easily outlive this and probably the next two Latex generations :). From my experience so far there are two things where the 1650 fails compared to the Latex 800. 1. It can't print good black. By good black I mean dark, dense, pitch black. 2. The ink is supposed to withstand 80% strech but it can't. It cracks. However it is amazing how much it does sterch for a UV ink. So unless you print a lot of car wrap vinyls, as we do, you should not worry about No2.
Regarding the mismatch you talk about, you will not have that problem with the 1650. When we talk about large prints splitted in several places the size match is astonishing. Also not to forget - no color distortions thanks to the stable environment under the hood.
So, for wallprints, I think, the 1650 would be a very good choise.
it prints a great black in gloss mode.... and if you use the most recent profile for more difficult media like cast you should get a great black in matte mode. they published a new profile a few weeks ago and several of my customers are thrilled

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Hey we have been using the HP Latex 800 and are planning to upgrade to the Canon Colorado 1650, one of our concerns is the price of the print heads.
If anyone has changed the print heads recently kindly let us know the price.
yes the heads are more expensive but they are dramatically more consistent and they may for years. most of my customers are well past 1M sf before any heads die of natural causes. By consistent color I mean that the red you printed 6 months ago and the one you print today pretty much match. lastly the ink savings are significant

Christian @ 2CT Media

I heard the 1650 did not truly solve the wrap vinyl problems of the 1640 (much less of a problem but still a problem sometimes). I cannot confirm, but maybe look into that first. I'm sure others on here could advise better. I also heard the 700 and 800 are hot garbage so idk.
We just sold our 800W and all of our wraps are printed on our 1650's. I posted pics of 1 piece semi fender wraps we did with them.

As for the heads they are about $3700 installed for us, we have had 2 now but both ended up being under warranty.

For banner you can certainly print consistently at 1k sqft/hr but it requires more consistent maintenance and profile management.

For inky black, it can certainly hit a far deeper black than the HP but again it requires profile management.

I don't have a 570, but I have other HP Latexs. You shouldn't have to constantly change heads on the latex to get consistent colors. You should only need to calibrate on the Latex every time you do change a head. As long as all your heads are in warranty and firing well, running calibrations should be all you need. We usually run them every time we change a head, before we run vehicle wraps, and before we run a big job (more than a roll).

Christian @ 2CT Media

These are images of the 1-Piece fender wrap. You can see the 460 Ink works well under stretch and stress.

20230215_094042_2 (Large).jpg
20230215_094049 (Large).jpg
20230215_094056_2 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Tim de Beir

I upgraded from a latex 360 to 700 and are one of those few who is Just very happy with it.
Colourconsistency is a huge leap forward even after a few months repeating a job! Tile length is mm perfect but you have to select the ‘never tension’ setting for the take up!!

garyroy

There is some great input here by actual users. Thanks for your real-life experience with the 1650.

This question is to Miro, Victor B, Mark Snelling, and any other users.
All the YouTube videos I've seen with the marketing manager and salesman from Canon show the machine in action.
But when I look in the users manual, page 30, it shows an exhaust vent. On the videos you never see them venting the machine.
One of the 'pitch' videos claims there is no order.
Question, does the printing smell? Does UV Gel have an order and does your machine have to be vented? How do you handle that?

Thanks again.

victor bogdanov

There are 2 big exhaust air filters that the machine blows air through, if not using the filters then you can exhaust externally. Filters make it within legal chemical exposure limits for a few hours per day

I do notice a smell, about the same as running 2-3 eco sol printers in that space, you will want good room ventilation and possible an air scrubber. Its your health.

If you read closely through all the documents you will see that the rated legal exposure limit canon shows is only 3-4 of hours per day then you possibly get over limits on some chemicals. I have a couple of fans blowing on the machine and an air scrubber.

It smells but 3 eco solvent printers with the same total output would smell worse, good airflow and air scrubber cut the smell down significantly.

stickerhed

Thanks a lot for positive reply on Canon Colorado 1650,
we have had very very bad experience in HP latex 800w, pattern mismatch put 1 to 2 inches, due to dimension stability had to replace 4000 sqft wallpaper. heard ear full from client.
we have printed 150K from past 6 months.. almost 15k has been replaced till now,
be careful before buying HPlatex new generation printer Lx700 and Lx800, even if you print on 12 pass, once you change the roll, patterns will not match..
Print two panel in one roll, remove the roll, and print one more panel in different roll, these will pattern never match..
I have a 700w and a 365. What fixed the panel problems was to print one panel at a time and let it finish curing, then send over the next panel. If I print them all in a row I get up to 1" difference. This way they are almost perfect. FYI, I just bought an Epson S80600L because I have other issues with my HP printers. But this fixed the panel problem for me.

greysquirrel

There is nothing you can say to convince me to spend 70K on a roll to roll printer that cannot print on magnet, static cling or anything clear. I could own a fleet of Epson s40's for this price and their panel to peel are dead nuts. If you need cheaper ink move up to the s60 or 80 with bulk. I was told service contract after year one is close to $700/m....image quality looks ok and I like the idea of multiple rolls but come on 70K???