• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP115 question

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have an HP115 and I use the LexJet 13oz from Fellers. I do notice at the end of printing when the machine sucks to material back in you need to stand there and be ready to give it a little tug when it spits it back out. The heat must make the banner material a little sticky and it can jam up. Otherwise, I've had great luck printing on banner material. You need to get some banner tape and a grommet machine as well (if you don't already have that).

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have an HP115 and I use the LexJet 13oz from Fellers. I do notice at the end of printing when the machine sucks to material back in you need to stand there and be ready to give it a little tug when it spits it back out. The heat must make the banner material a little sticky and it can jam up. Otherwise, I've had great luck printing on banner material. You need to get some banner tape and a grommet machine as well (if you don't already have that).
I have a 315. Banner material is the ONLY thing that doesn't jam in my printer. (knocking on wood right now)

EV333

A decent grommeting machine can set you back between $300-500 plus the cost of grommets.

The OP can always use "Banner Ups" Bravo Tabs to kick off his banner finishing.
These are square clear tabs that can be used in corners or along the edges at desired intervals.
All you need then is a decent hole punch and you're set.
Easy to use, very strong, clear with so less obstruction of the print and there is the added bonus of not having to line up grommets.
Place tab, punch hole, finished.

By the time the OP has used up a packet, they'd have squirreled away enough money to buy a decent grommeting machine if that is how they wish to finish their banners.

Stacey K

I like making signs
A decent grommeting machine can set you back between $300-500 plus the cost of grommets.

These are square clear tabs that can be used in corners or along the edges at desired intervals.
Easy to use, very strong, clear with so less obstruction of the print and there is the added bonus of not having to line up grommets.

By the time the OP has used up a packet, they'd have squirreled away enough money to buy a decent grommeting machine if that is how they wish to finish their banners.
Mine is just a hand punch and it works extremely well. I do several banners a week. This is what I have from Amazon...I paid $55.99 for it and it came with 900 grommets.
1653588360721.png

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

Ok...so you don't have a template for your grommets? every banner I create, I place in a template. I have 1" squares where my grommets are going to go. No need to try and "line things up" if you do it in the software. after I fold the banner over and tape, I punch the grommet holes in the spot where the square is. s

EV333

Mine is just a hand punch and it works extremely well. I do several banners a week. This is what I have from Amazon...I paid $55.99 for it and it came with 900 grommets.
{SNIP}

I have the same one.
The grommets that it shipped with were only brass plated steel and rust fairly quickly.
My 390 odd are in a landfill somewhere. I purchased brass grommets and only used a handful before switching to the Banner Ups.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I only do about three banners a year.
I buy the Grommet kit from Harbor Freight Tools. It comes with a hole punch and 25 grommets.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just put one in each corner and do a quick half fold add another then fold again add another. I never thought of printing a spot on the banner...I feel pretty dumb now LOL

But...I've only had my printer a few months so that's my excuse!

EV333

Ok...so you don't have a template for your grommets? every banner I create, I place in a template. I have 1" squares where my grommets are going to go. No need to try and "line things up" if you do it in the software. after I fold the banner over and tape, I punch the grommet holes in the spot where the square is. s
Yes I do. I use Flexi's RIP to print my punch marks. I don't need to use "templates".
What I meant in relation to "lining up grommets" was, well, lining up the "grommets" on the actual grommet press. If you don't have a punch like mine and the one posted by Stacey, consider yourself lucky :)
A small rare earth magnet fitted to the top die helps when using cheap brass plated steel grommets but useless for solid brass.

Banner tabs are my go to now.

EV333

I just put one in each corner and do a quick half fold add another then fold again add another. I never thought of printing a spot on the banner...I feel pretty dumb now LOL

But...I've only had my printer a few months so that's my excuse!
I assume you're using Flexi, if you are, Production Manager -> Default Job Settings -> Finishing Tab -> check the Grommets box, enter the desired locations -> Print.

When you stop learning, it's time to give it away :D

Attachments

• Print Managert.png
    Print Managert.png
    273.8 KB · Views: 96

ikarasu

I believe the free / comes with printer version of Flexi doesn't have the finishing tab or color options...maybe the print cut version does, but the non print cut version doesn't, At least it didn't on my 110 when I had it... One of their incentives to make you upgrade.

But yes.... Such a time saver. In onyx I have it auto add 1" bleed... Add a dotted line at the end and start of the bleed... Add grommets every 24 inches.... You just grab. Banner that's to size, hit load and everything is done for you... Super simple!

EV333

I believe the free / comes with printer version of Flexi doesn't have the finishing tab or color options...maybe the print cut version does, but the non print cut version doesn't, At least it didn't on my 110 when I had it... One of their incentives to make you upgrade.

But yes.... Such a time saver. In onyx I have it auto add 1" bleed... Add a dotted line at the end and start of the bleed... Add grommets every 24 inches.... You just grab. Banner that's to size, hit load and everything is done for you... Super simple!
Her profile says she has an L115 & Summa cutter so it's probably safe to assume she bought a print/cut setup which comes bundled with HP Flexi Print and Cut that includes Production Manager as the RIP. The Finishing tools, colour adjustment, labels & marks etc is setup in the PM Default Job Settings.
The options popup appears when you send the job to PM.
You may have only had Flexi Design which doesn't include the RIP

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I prefer to set the grommets and trim into the file and save it. I use circles that are the same size as the piercing side of the grommet, it's pretty mindless at that point. Then it is easily repeatable without having to remember rip settings. Same with paneling, I just do it in Corel, it takes no time and 5 years down the road I can reprint a panel exactly the same.