• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question HP26500 crashing into side during scan

MikePro

first for me, printing just fine for a couple of years, aside from media/ink errors, but suddenly today my HP26500 latex printer wants to SLAM into the far-side of the printer during its power-up/preparingsystem/scan processes. ...and then throws me a media jam error, even with no media in the system.

weekend crunch, and will most likely follow-up with a tech this week, but any suggestions what I should be looking into that could possibly get me back up & running asap?
---------------------------------------------------------
only thing i've done recently to the printer, was changing the printhead cleaning kit the day before, but was printing all day yesterday and this morning just fine, until I changed rolls this a.m. and it error'd/SLAM'd. and then now 3 more times it has SLAM'd into the side once I've powered-down/removed the roll/powerer-down/restartedwithoutroll.

Split76

first for me, printing just fine for a couple of years, aside from media/ink errors, but suddenly today my HP26500 latex printer wants to SLAM into the far-side of the printer during its power-up/preparingsystem/scan processes. ...and then throws me a media jam error, even with no media in the system.

weekend crunch, and will most likely follow-up with a tech this week, but any suggestions what I should be looking into that could possibly get me back up & running asap?
---------------------------------------------------------
only thing i've done recently to the printer, was changing the printhead cleaning kit the day before, but was printing all day yesterday and this morning just fine, until I changed rolls this a.m. and it error'd/SLAM'd. and then now 3 more times it has SLAM'd into the side once I've powered-down/removed the roll/powerer-down/restartedwithoutroll.

could it be worn belt of some error or ink in encoder strip? i had more than fair share of problems with my 265 but not that :).. thankfully it finally died and i moved to 365.
Media jam intrest me because my 365 have had few media jams in last 2 months without any reason. Media isn't jammed in any way.

MikePro

reported myself, hoping to move this thread to HP Forum. lol

aaaaanyways, while watching the mechanics of the scan, I determined the crash point to be this tiny metal arm/hook that sits above the ink cartridges on the far-left side of the printer. appears to be a trigger/emergency stop? whatever it is, it was making contact with the media deflectors and actually hooking-onto it on its return to home pass, causing it to yank/lift the printcarriage during its return motion.
I bent the arm/hook slightly open towards the print carriage, and now the machine scans perfectly! the carriage makes contact with the arm/hook, but then immediately returns home-ward and completes its scan without being "grabbed" by the arm/hook.

MikePro

we just expanded our facility, bought the building next-door and moving our graphics department over there. TONS of new room and can't wait to start making requests for new equipment.... HP 365 included :)
....in the meantime, i gotta keep wranglin' the gremlins under this hood. I think problem has been solved, for now. thank god. currently printing graphics for a 30ft tall illuminated guitar pylon sign, a 9ftx75ft wall mural, and 7 sets of vehicle graphics.....all due this week! whew.

ToTo

Professional Support
Clean the encoder strip along scan axis with WATER and check em for scratches or damages. If that doesn’t solve the issue change scan axis motor.