• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP5500PS Questions - 1pm deadline looming

BMurphy688

Hi All,

I have inherrited a 5500ps with UV inks about a year ago. My sign side of the business has been lite at best... I have a banner to print with a dead line of 1pm today.

The material is lexar 10oz scrim from fellers. they say to use the UVHWCoatedPaperMax.icc which I can not find on the printer, hp's website or fellers website... Fellers said to try any 10oz scrim banner icc i have on my printer. I would, but don't know which one to use... I tried under hp opaque scrim and just scrim... it seems as way too much ink is being placed down as the print head will drag some ink from one color to the next (is this a new problem)...

Any help will be greatly appreciated as to what icc to use? or expert help to create the banner...

As always, THANK YOU for your time... Those who make this site up, the end users, are great!

Murph

Bill Modzel

You do know that UV inks on your 5500 are not UV Curable inks, but pigment inks that are UV stable.
Having said that, is the banner material that you have for Aqueous inkjet inks or for UV curable inks? I think that you have the incorrect stock. The setting on the printer shouldn't have that much effect on the vinyl.

BMurphy688

Pigment Inks

The bullet points in the catalog say best used with pigment based inks. Am I incorrect that UV inks are pigment inks?

smdgrfx

I used to have a HP5500. I never tried to print to scrim vinyl, but I know that anything you print on needs to be laminated if it is going outdoors. The ink was also UV, but as Bill says, it's just UV stable. It is still Aqueous ink, which is water soluble. Any anything you run through the printer is usually a specially coated stock which is way more expensive than regular scrim vinyl. I would usually do my indoor prints only with the machine. Anything else goes to my Mimaki JV3....especially scrim vinyl.

Bill Modzel

Murph,
If that stock in under the "aqueous" category, it should be the right stuff. Make sure that your banner stock is the correct side up also. If everything else is right, try using the profile for draft paper. That should be the lightest ink deposit profile.

BMurphy688

1pm Deadline looming

Understand about outdoor vs indoor and lamination... I've printed in the past on some banners and are still hanging in with the lamination applied...

I've printed on budget banner from quality media in ct a year ago. It's still hanging outside my shop looking sharp... No lamination applied, hanging between two fence posts...

Anycase, the material was pointed out to me from a sales rep at a show in md, fellers booth... It's also listed under the waterbased section of their catalog... I believe i have a correct stock for the pritner, and just trying to figure what icc to use or why is it laying down so much ink, or why is it dragging the ink across...

Thanks again guys, any input is good input.

marcsitkin

Banner on HP

Hi-

Try the Intellicoat sight for a profile for their scrim banner material.

We have printed banners on an HP5000/Pigment over the years. The result is water resistant, although it is not as tough as a solvent print.

Make sure you choose a suitable media setting when loading the media. Something like "outdoor durable vinyl". Also, thread the takeup reel to avoid head strikes. The extra tension should help.