• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HPDesignjet 5500ps wrap?

BMurphy688

Hey all,

I have an HP 5500 ps with UV setup. Since wraps need to be laminated, would I be able to do wraps with this printer?

Thanks.

Billct2

I have the same machine and the answer is No.
You can get away with some exterior work with the right media/laminate and UV ink, but wraps, I wouldn't even consider it.

Tony McD

I have a 5500uvps, and went through this a few years ago.
That printer just can't print on the right media for a full vehicle wrap.

You may be able to wrap a box trailer or a fridge, and get it to last 3 years or so.
I don't think you'll have much or any luck with a full vehicle wrap. Even if you could, the prices of the vinyl, laminate, and inks wouldn't make you very competitive against and eco-sol or solvent printer.

There's a lot of coated calendar vinyls for this machine, but most are only rated 6 months to a year. 3m has a coated vinyl (#8522) and laminate combo that worked best for me, but it's pricey.

As far as sign pictorals, I have some of these prints out there that are 4 or 5 years old and still seem to be fine. You should let the laminate overlap all the way around the edge about 1/4" to help seal the print. (encapsulate)

Hope this helps.

Billct2

1-3 Year Vehicle Graphics
The 3M3552C-54150 is the product you will print on. The 3MCTOL is the laminate you will apply over the print.
The 3M3552C is coated for ECO-SOLVENT & SOLVENT based printers. If you only have an Aqueous Inkjet printer your best option is to use 3M8522 in conjunction with the 3MCTOL.
I don't see anything there about using an HP for wraps, they do say the above for 1-3 year vehicles graphics. But even at that I would hesitate to use anything from my HP on a vehicle, especially if it had to go over rivets much less a compound curve.
It's not worth it when you can buy the proper material wholesale from so many sources now.

I didn't see your second post with the Big Picture info, but I still wouldn't do it.
Anyone here have any long term experience with that stuff?