• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hubby & Wifey in the work place?

Letterbox Mike

My wife and I work side by side here, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. That said, it has presented some hurdles and challenges both for the business and for our marriage, and we've seen some good times and bad times working together. But all in all, it's been a vastly more positive thing than a negative.

But it's not for everybody, make sure your roles are clearly defined and respect those roles.

Border

Interesting topic...I would like to think it could work with that certain someone, someday. I sure could use help with the books and other chores that I really hate and always find a way to put off!

@ AnotherDog: Good points about establishing rules first!

JoySigns

My husband and I have worked together in this business for 9 years now. The first year of learning the business and learning to work and live together nearly 24 hours a day was a bit rough. I don't think very many people could do it but we have always been best friends and remain so. We even go home and cook together. HOWEVER we tend to take time off separately (different hobbies) since one person is needed to man the front Mon-Sat. If we want to vacation together we have to close the doors which means no income. There are definitely times when it would be nice to be able to rely on a second income outside of this business, especially one with benefits.

klemgraphics

My wife said before we got married that she would be around to keep the shop clean for me on her days off(she works 3 days as a nurse). Well we have been married for a little over a year now and I can count on one hand how many times she has actually been in the shop, and not once to clean. I would love for her to do the books and make some sales as I know she could but to be honest she has no interest in this business...and sometimes I'm glad. We don't see each other a whole lot and that may be for the best.

Bly

My ex lasted about 2 hours before bursting into tears, calling me names and storming out. So if your wife's a princess, def not!
I'm happy for my present wife to work part time doing her own thing.

GypsyGraphics

This thread would have to be in another forum for me to be blunt about this... so i'll just say....

I LOVE MY JOB (most of it) and unless my spouse had a passion for it too, he'd have the ability to take that from me. i'd rather work alone and struggle than have the joy taken out of my work and maybe out of my home-life too.

i don't see how you'd keep an unpleasant day at work from carrying over to the bedroom.

but.... if you had a blast all day knocking out signs..... :clapping:

Jane Diaz

Husband, wife AND two sons!! How's THAT for ya....Works for us! We do have a division of labor as to who does what, but we all work pretty well together. If you respect each other's opinions and don't try to make it "my way or the hiway" you can get a bunch done. Another hint is we try to help each other out, but not when it isn't requested or needed, we have discovered. :)
www.diazsignart.com

GZ SIGN DESIGNS

My wife and I have been working together in this industry for 12yrs.Together we built nothing into something that we are making a living at.She know every aspect of the business,Designing ,weeding ,billing ,quoting ,purchasing ,wrapping ect ect.Sure we argue at times at the shop, it can get heated and overblown.Once we say our peace we move on and go foreward with our day .Like the saying goes "it's just business nothing personal".After we close all the troubles of the day are locked up in the shop and are not to be brought home.The day is over ,tomorrow is new day.She has become not only someone I can trust with my life but also my best friend.

A big hell NO!

You need to be able to have something to talk about later in the day at dinner when you get home, or on the weekends.

The only good I can see happening would to be having nooners

GypsyGraphics

Husband, wife AND two sons!! How's THAT for ya....http://www.diazsignart.com
how's that? ...why it's heaven, that's what that is!

Jane, the work your family does is amazing and i've had the pleasure of seeing photos and even video of your family working together... a most enviably situation for sure!

my sons will happily help out if i ask, and even come out on an occasional install. however, none of the three have any real interest in the graphic or e sign business. but i sure do enjoy their company when they work with me.

Screenanator

My wife and I have ran this business side by side since 2001.....wouldnt have it any other way.....she tackles the ordering....screenprinting....billing.....and front counter for our retail store front....I do the embroidery and signs......I got the WAY better end of the deal....It's streesful at times...and when things do flare up our screenprinter Jason is usually stuck in the middle. He's quick thinking....always throws out..."NO HABLA ENGLESE"....LOL....Serious...we work well as a team...She's actually the owner.

mark in tx

Some people can make it work, some people end up divorced.

From what I have seen, in a true family business, with husband, wife, kids, cousins, etc... 1 person is the boss, doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks, when the boss speaks, they listen and do. Period. End of Story.

Avanti

My husband and I have worked together for 6 years, first in the Petrol Station we owned then in the sign industry, 24/7 for the past 6 years, We dont have any problems, but I have seen marriage breakdowns after they have started a new business together.
You have disagreements about somethings, but you have to be able to seperate work life and home life.

speedneeds

Husband and wife team here as well and if working 1 business together isn't enough, we work two. We have a sign shop and also an auto repair shop. We are together 24/7; some days its great; some days you're asking "why did I do this?". At the end of the day, its all worth it. Just remember work is work and not personal. I know if I'm rough on her at the auto shop (where I'm boss) that I'll pay double at the sign shop (where she is boss). We have found our niche at both places and work flows well, most of the time.