• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I AM BUYING THIS MACHINE TOMORROW UNLESS YOU TELL ME OTHERWISE...... Roland UV mG640

depps74

I have decided after many failures with my HP to upgrade to a Roland UV specifically this one in link. Any feedback, advice, pitfalls to avoid or harsh warnings welcome. It hits all the marks for my shop, better color, scratch resistant, size, simplicity, speed, power needs, venting is ok etc... I am mostly concerned with consistency and reliability. Will this machine let me down on large long runs? Or is it a good robust workhorse?

any feedback greatly appreciated

/ https://uscutter.com/roland-mg-640-...H6dYOhZVF6KWnc6_CPwkgxPrQM9MUICYaAlKLEALw_wcB

victor bogdanov

check this thread out:

About the LG series, I'm sure there are significant differences compared to the MG but maybe you'll see something useful.

I think the Roland UV printers are more for specialty work/effects rather than a general purpose wide format printer, far better options for common applications

Have you looked at Epson R series? Which HP printer are you replacing

depps74

check this thread out:

About the LG series, I'm sure there are significant differences compared to the MG but maybe you'll see something useful.

I think the Roland UV printers are more for specialty work/effects rather than a general purpose wide format printer, far better options for common applications

check this thread out:

The HP 315 has put me through my paces. It's just so unreliable. Maybe cause I don't print that often? But I really never know what I am going to get. Rarely do I print something without part or all of it needing to be redone or worse outsoourced. I mainly want something reliable and better ability to handle grey tones and midtones. The non thermal heads, and the simplicity of the Roland are very attractive to me.
Also no new electrical needed

victor bogdanov

The HP 315 has put me through my paces. It's just so unreliable. Maybe cause I don't print that often? But I really never know what I am going to get. Rarely do I print something without part or all of it needing to be redone or worse outsoourced. I mainly want something reliable and better ability to handle grey tones and midtones. The non thermal heads, and the simplicity of the Roland are very attractive to me.
Epson R will be much better imo than the Roland MG for your use, you're looking at 40ml waste ink per day with the MG even if you don't use the machine.

Look up Epson R5070, cheaper than the MG too

https://www.grimco.com/catalog/products/epsonsurecolorr5070printer

Epson solvent and roland solvent would be a better choice over the MG too I think

cornholio

check this thread out:

The MG is more like a successor of the LEC2-640. It has nothing to do with a LG.

d fleming

Bought a small roland for small labels I do a ton of. The one year warranty should be just about up. Had 1300$ worth of non covered repair already. It is a print/cut machine and has the worst plotter I have ever used in it. Prints very nice but I now use my graphtec for cutting the prints from it. It is my first and last roland.

Johnny Best

I would go Epson over Roland, for the main reason of better quality printing and cost savings to get a Summa or Graptec plotter.

Goatshaver

Epson R will be much better imo than the Roland MG for your use, you're looking at 40ml waste ink per day with the MG even if you don't use the machine.

Look up Epson R5070, cheaper than the MG too

https://www.grimco.com/catalog/products/epsonsurecolorr5070printer

Epson solvent and roland solvent would be a better choice over the MG too I think
I'd say if you're looking for reliability, look to into an Epson machine, although I don't know much about their resin printers, their solvent printers are incredibly reliable and excellent print quality.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
any feedback greatly appreciated
Maybe cause I don't print that often? But I really never know what I am going to get. Rarely do I print something without part or all of it needing to be redone or worse outsoourced. I mainly want something reliable and better ability to handle grey tones and midtones.
From your forum posts over the years it's apparent you've been struggling with this for a long while.

Seriously consider and budget for color management software and hardware along with investing some time and expense for training. Send me a direct message if you care to or ask here in the thread.

Good luck.

netsol

From your forum posts over the years it's apparent you've been struggling with this for a long while.

Seriously consider and budget for color management software and hardware along with investing some time and expense for training. Send me a direct message if you care to or ask here in the thread.

Good luck.
Best advice you will ever get!

SlikGRFX

We run an mg640 along side an epson but there’s no way I would run one as my only printer. It’s far too slow. Below is what I posted on another thread about roll to roll uv printers. You’d be better off with an epson s80600.

You can print white and cmyk in a single pass on the Roland. Gloss varnish is added on a second pass, so if you’re buying for the spot gloss effect, it will be even slower. Roland will print matte and gloss effect like the Colorado, UV inks are matte by default anyway.

How clean is your shop? Dust is a huge issue with spot gloss. We have never had an issue with dust or debris in the prints but spot gloss shows everything. If you run an extractor for the smell, it sucks in dust from the room so you need to set up a clean room.

Other than that they are really smelly, black ink is not opaque, prints are rough and tough to laminate, and it cleans for 1-2 minutes before every job. We bought one for decals and it seems to make the vinyl brittle too, so not great for that either. Cutter accuracy is also poor after using Summa cutters.

Honestly I don’t see the point of roll to roll uv printers. We thought we could offer more with this machine but it has been disappointing.”

TopFliteGraphics

That's strange. We have had our HP315 for almost 5 years and have never had a single issue other than figuring out the importance of profiles with different media for gray tones especially. I haven't ever had a down day except when I forgot to order ink in time LOL. Maybe you just got a lemon

damonCA21

Bought a small roland for small labels I do a ton of. The one year warranty should be just about up. Had 1300$ worth of non covered repair already. It is a print/cut machine and has the worst plotter I have ever used in it. Prints very nice but I now use my graphtec for cutting the prints from it. It is my first and last roland.
If the printer is set up properly it should cut perfectly. The whole point of getting a print and cut machine is doing it all in one job and not having to take out the print and cut in another machine

d fleming

If the printer is set up properly it should cut perfectly. The whole point of getting a print and cut machine is doing it all in one job and not having to take out the print and cut in another machine
If you intend to laminate it still has to go out and come back in to be cut. I have been using plotters since early 90's. Voice of experience. This thing couldn't cut a clean corner if it had to.

depps74

Well did you buy it or not???? TIME IS UP
Not yet, replies making me think the HP problems are perhaps ones of my own doing. Back to drawing board of profiling and optimizing printer. Got some great people on here offering to help via phone. I am leaning towards the Roland though. Its such simple looking machine,

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well make sure they know how to work on latex. It's most important to have good printheads before doing anything else.