• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I broke my signs101 and then fixed it (I think)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I was working on a layout in Corel Draw and needed to add a new font to match the local university's font style.
Was a legit font free for commercial use (Roboto-slab). Had the forum open in Chrome at the same time (of course).
Corel auto-updates the font list even when it is in use so I finished the layout and then noticed the font here in the forum had changed over to Roboto also. Checked it in Opera, Chrome & Firefox - all the same.
Deleted all the signs101 cookies - no change. Checked in with our overlords and they said nothing had been changed or updated on their end.
Checked the site from a second system and it was fine.
No other lists or forums I frequent had this same font displayed.
Not a big deal but the font is only good for headlines and not paragraph text - also it wouldn't un-bold so that I could tell what posts I'd already looked at.
I was about to put out an SOS to the masses here on the list when I thought to delete the font - fixed.
Now all is good but I wonder what setting in windows (7) did this and why only on signs101?
I'm thinking Tex or Gino did something but I can't prove it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was working on a layout in Corel Draw and needed to add a new font to match the local university's font style.
Was a legit font free for commercial use (Roboto-slab). Had the forum open in Chrome at the same time (of course).
Corel auto-updates the font list even when it is in use so I finished the layout and then noticed the font here in the forum had changed over to Roboto also. Checked it in Opera, Chrome & Firefox - all the same.
Deleted all the signs101 cookies - no change. Checked in with our overlords and they said nothing had been changed or updated on their end.
Checked the site from a second system and it was fine.
No other lists or forums I frequent had this same font displayed.
Not a big deal but the font is only good for headlines and not paragraph text - also it wouldn't un-bold so that I could tell what posts I'd already looked at.
I was about to put out an SOS to the masses here on the list when I thought to delete the font - fixed.
Now all is good but I wonder what setting in windows (7) did this and why only on signs101?
I'm thinking Tex or Gino did something but I can't prove it.

and you never will.

But what happened was Arial probably got deleted somehow.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Ive been having the same problem recently too. Have had 2 fonts somehow become the default for the browser. If I delete them, life goes back to normal.
I still have arial - thats my boo. My go to font for every sign I make.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea thinking about it that might be a stupid answer. The default font used here is Arial, somehow the new one overtook it. I looked the problem up on Google and everyone seems to not know what happened but removing the new font always works. Did you download Roboto directly from Google? They provide it for free. I wonder if you tried to re-install it would it happen again? Maybe close S101 so it doesn't see what you're doing this time.

MoultrieMade

A quick "view source" shows that the site references a font called Roboto-slab. I'm guessing your browser normally substitutes something else, but once you added a font to your system by that name, it started using it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
A quick "view source" shows that the site references a font called Roboto-slab. I'm guessing your browser normally substitutes something else, but once you added a font to your system by that name, it started using it.
Good catch.
I did pull up the source and looked at it. Realized my understanding of what I was seeing was a multiple of zero and gave up quickly.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yes, very smart catch

Why would someone use all those uncommon fonts when building a site? If he installed Roboto Slab and thats what designer called for did it look any better than without it?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Yes, very smart catch

Why would someone use all those uncommon fonts when building a site? If he installed Roboto Slab and thats what designer called for did it look any better than without it?
I did not like it, but I was born in the age before the internets.