• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I didn't believe the manufacturer

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Around a decade ago we we had shortages and price hikes in optically clear mounting film. Manufacturer's rep said it was down to the increase in production of flat screen televisions; I thought BS.

If you've shot film, and wondered how it was made, this (LONG) video may be interesting. Of particular note to me was that Kodak sells the polyester film to other manufacturers, and other industries.

I no longer think it was BS. Owe him a beer when we next meet.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I always loved cracking open a fresh canister of 35mm film and taking a deep whiff.

Kids today will never know the experience.

They say it's making a comeback. Maybe Kodak is smarter than we think by not fully embracing digital.

JB

Last edited:
Around a decade ago we we had shortages and price hikes in optically clear mounting film. Manufacturer's rep said it was down to the increase in production of flat screen televisions; I thought BS.

If you've shot film, and wondered how it was made, this (LONG) video may be interesting. Of particular note to me was that Kodak sells the polyester film to other manufacturers, and other industries.

I no longer think it was BS. Owe him a beer when we next meet.
Which optically clear mounting film are having issues getting? We use Drytac Facemount (for facemounting prints to acrylic), but we are looking for other products that work as well, but come with only one release liner.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
It was the Drytac Facemount - still the best optically clear that I've found. We don't use much of it these days, as it has become monstrously expensive.
Kids today will never know the experience.

They say it's making a comeback. Maybe Kodak is smarter than we think by not fully embracing digital.
Our main area of business is photographic, and we're seeing a big rise in film usage, particularly with the younger photographers. It seems that Kodak and Fuji are both strugling to keep up with demand for film. More worryingly, there are major shortages of cut C-type paper (we still have B&W and colour darkrooms).

rjssigns

Film...my favorite memory is using a Zenza Bronica for a shoot. The build quality, the silkiness of the controls not to mention the photo quality. Good stuff. Could have bought one decades later at a rummage sale for 400 bucks. Included an array of lenses, filters etc... Was a mega dollar set up back in the day.