• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I hate when I get an itch...

Circleville Signs

OK....After reviewing Shane Durnford's new website which was kindly posted in another thread, my itch to start playing around with hand crafted signage is starting up again.

I'm a computer guy. I can design. I do it all the time. It's just, well, virtual.

And damnit, I want to MAKE something. So, here's my question.

What do I need to get started? I think I will start with something for our shop, that I can use as a display piece.

What tools do I need?
Where can I get smaltz and gold leaf?
Any good turorials out there?
For the hand-carved stuff - 20lb signfoam? Other ideas?

I'm going to try and do this from the ground up - maybe even start a thread where I post some pictures and my progress.

I just need your help in getting started!

brian oliver

head cheese
What tools do you have besides a computer?

Depending on how ambitious you get, you'll need all kinds of stuff.

However, I recommend not tackling gold or smalts right out of the gate.

I know how you feel. Boy, when the Muse gives you a kiss...

Circleville Signs

I've got the basic stuff needed to do most non-electrical, non-hand carved stuff.

Saws, routers, etc. Been looking for a Cut-Awl, but man - I'd really like to make a sign that electricity didn't touch. Just to see what I can do.

Any recommendations on types of chisels? Brushes? Etc.?

brian oliver

head cheese
Gary,

I'm no expert (there are some here and at Letterville that are gods), but if I'm shaping a sign, I'll use HDU (15#, 18# are good) and shape it with any thing I think will get the job done. I've used chisels, rasps, files, sandpaper, knives, Dremel, whatever.

Just roll up your sleeves, get to it, and have fun.

SignManiac

Here's a sign I made eighteen years ago out of sign foam using a jig saw, some swiss carving tools, paint for the faux background, gold leaf, acrylic and even some vinyl. It takes some time but the end result looks nice.

So start scratching that itch...

Attachments

• Arnot-01.jpg
    Arnot-01.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Arnot-02.jpg
    Arnot-02.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 105

OldPaint

do a small MDO sign CIRCLEVILLE SIGNS!!!do a painted background with some hand painted effects like marble, stone, or some of the foux finishes that people put on walls.
do some small carved raised design in sign foam, and gold leaf the name and hand paint the outline on the letters.
these 3 are examples. the 1st a freind of mine did it, and iam showing it for the background. the middle one is a gold leaf on MDO, with the masonic logo as raised carved sign foam. the BASS is on alumicore, all hand painted, for my wifes cousin whos name is BASS, and he has 4 T-BIRDS!!!!
NOTHIN GREAT, but very satisfying to produce.

Attachments

• tshirt butcher.jpg
    tshirt butcher.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 59
  • plotter 061s.jpg
    plotter 061s.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 99
  • mustang show 020S.jpg
    mustang show 020S.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 106

Fitch

Welcome to the "3D itch".

It WILL NOT go away...lol

Before you do ANYTHING... design it. Forget about anything else that will come.

Get the design right. Think about what you want it to look like, with either layers, colour, gold leaf, light and shade.

You may recall a piece of Shane's (Rennaisance I think) that was primarily white. But look at the definition, and the light and shade of the piece. Remarkable.

Design it first, then think about the tools. Don't cloud you mind with "how to's"

Cheers and good luck.

Jillbeans

Sometimes I just take a scrap of SignFoam (they used to give away bigger scraps at trade shows) and use a jigsaw, sandpaper and a dremel tool to shape it into a dimensional add-on for a flat sign.
I had great fun with epoxy putty to make roses for a sign once, just like playing with playdoh but it isn't as fun to taste.
Smaltz is easy, even I can do it.
I have been gilding for over 10 years now and I still don't do it quite right, but that's just me. It's a basic tool every sign person should know and can be done using a mask if your hand lettering skills aren't too refined.
Even just using a faux finish as a background can make a sign look great, or adding a varnish shade to the main lettering.
Start out small and get a feel for things.

Circleville Signs

Thanks for all the responses folks!

OK - so, here's what i think I'm going to do. First - I'm going to do the design. Once I get that done, I will start a new thread. It will be the "Circleville Signs Dimensional Test" thread :)

I will post the design. That's when I'm gonna need all your help :) This will end up being a community project on the IP side of things - LOL.

Then, as the project progresses, i will keep posting the progress. Should be fun!

Gary

TheSellOut

It will be fun, you have to start somewhere, and I agree with OP to start on something small! I get my gold leaf materials from either Earl Mich Co. or N. Glantz & Son. If you call Earl Mich ask to talk to a guy Joe Balabuszko, he is super nice, loves to help, and will get you going with all the right brushes, size, etc..I got started by taking one class from Francis Lestingi at the Atlantic city show, and I am so glad I did!!