• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I Hope Y'all are Current

kcollinsdesign

Old member
still rocking CS6 and couldn't be happier!
anything that I cannot open in CS6, I convert via AcrobatPro. To hell with monthly subscriptions, just to be a beta-tester, and I still feel like I need to squeeze my $$$ out of my current software, as they jumped to the CCsubscription services shortly after I had purchased CS6 (still have all the discs/serials for every version since the 90's)

....unfortunately, this may soon change because my dislike for Mac's proprietary & cheap-build/over-price nature, is greater than my disdain for Adobe's subscriptions. Already building new design PC's that will be running windows, and all my CS6 software is for MacOS. Wish I could run hackintosh's here at the shop, but their terms are pretty clear that it is illegal. If I can't find legit PC copies, which most likely don't exist, then I'll just have to suck it up and go with CC.
What's the point? I use Macs and find them to be reliable and well built. I simply do not have the time to "build" a computer when I can just order one ready to go. If you are cheap, just get a mini.

Now, on the other hand, if you are just starting out and/or you really enjoy "building" your own computers, by all means enjoy your hobby. I make enough in a couple days to buy a Mac that will last me three years, so building my own is a non-starter for me.

As for software, I have the advantage of being a pioneer in the use of computers for creating images. The big moment came when PostScript was developed, and we were able to run our Gerber III by connecting the computers serial output though a custom board soldered to the Gerber. Today I can spend $50/month and get state-of-the-art applications. What a change! Compared to $270.00 fonts (single style, weight), today's computer designer can do just about anything imaginable. I don't have to suffer through beta testing or figure out how to jury rig a bunch of open souce code to get the results I need. It just works. I can't afford to mess around with make-shift software, my time is too precious and I have bills to pay. Who cares if it costs $50/month, I'll cover that in less than an hour.

WildWestDesigns

What's the point? I use Macs and find them to be reliable and well built.

Despite "keyboardgate"?

Alicia (wife) had a Mac that had a kernel overheat issue on her laptop that didn't last her a year.

Alicia also had an iPhone that was totally dead in 2 yrs.

Now, on the flip side, mom had 10 yrs of use of a Mac laptop with no issues, she just wanted to go back to Windows.

And wasn't there an issue with the SSD and the main logic board as well on some of their laptops?

I do believe there was throttling issues that video editors were seeing.

Now, on the other hand, if you are just starting out and/or you really enjoy "building" your own computers, by all means enjoy your hobby. I make enough in a couple days to buy a Mac that will last me three years, so building my own is a non-starter for me.

They all have their issues.

I personally would like to get more then 3 yrs out of a computer, but then again, I'm getting workstation computers, not consumer grade computers either (not saying that you are, I don't know what version of the Mac your getting, just talking in generalities).

I'm not a fan of the UI in the first place, never have been, but that is a personal preference. I'm not truly fond of the limited hardware. There is a pro to that in the hopes that don't have to worry about needing any extra drivers (I really don't on a Linux system either, Windows kinda depends on that) and that it just works, but the more resource needs you have, the way, way more it costs you.

I don't know if that is a good assumption with regard to "starting out". I prefer to buy the best, I believe in "better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it", but I still also believe in being fiscally responsible as well.

Today I can spend $50/month and get state-of-the-art applications.
I don't have to suffer through beta testing

With the nature of SaaS and if you are getting the absolute latest version (not x-1), you are technically a beta tester to a degree. There are always bugs to be worked out. Your workflow may be that you may never get them, but they are there.

SaaS software is a "rolling release" type of software.

Now matter how much testing is done before the stable release, always bugs (look at the release of High Sierra, that was a bumpy ride in the beginning if I remember correctly).

or figure out how to jury rig a bunch of open souce code to get the results I need. It just works.

I've never had to do that for the software that I use that replaces all my production software. Not once had I had to do that. Haven't had to compile from source. Now, I have download tar files, but since those are nothing more then Zip files and they had the ready to run programs, I was kinda forced to (I know some on here fear the tar file, when it's really nothing more then a Zip file).

The only commercial closed source software that I run is Substance Painter now, which will probably be no more as Adobe bought that suite of programs and I know Linux support will go bye bye (another joy of the closed source model), just hope that it doesn't get absorbed into Dimensions and Substance Painter go the way of Freehand (yet another joy of closed source). I'll have to go with Armor Paint (which is another paid for app, but open source (open source, despite what most seem to think, doesn't mean that it's for free)).

Now, 20 yrs ago, from the stories that I heard, very much a different case. Not so much today. I became a converted zealot after all the heavy lifting had been done, which is a good thing for me. I would probably woudn't have switched otherwise.

I would say the biggest concern is change in workflow. Adobe has that down pat. Not so much elsewhere. That is probably the biggest stumbling block and it is a big one.

I will also say this, everything just works on this platform here. I don't have to deal with getting 3rd party drivers as most is baked into the kernel itself and some companies, like Wacom, have dedicated devs to help with that (not always the case). It can also be much more powerful then the Windows/Mac version of the drivers as well. Windows on the other hand (and I believe (for what that is worth), this is a contributing reason for it's susceptibility for malware) depends on 3rd party drivers. Some of that enables them to have an advantage on bleeding edge and/or niche hardware, but really in just that demographic.

Now, I'm not trying to sway people to this, get with what you'll know works for your needs/workflow, but the point here is that experiences do differ. Doesn't matter if talking about experiences with Mac or experiences with open source or whatever.

Get what works for you.

Now, for some, I'm not saying that closed source means that it's an inferior product or open source is a better product. It's more about knowing what freedoms/limits one has and the trade offs associated with each of the developmental models. Just the way that it is.

Who cares if it costs $50/month, I'll cover that in less than an hour.

I don't look at it as just $50 a month (and I do believe that it's listed slightly more then that now as well) and that's it. It resets back to $0 for the next month. I look at that cost over the lifetime that I plan on using it. Back when it was $50 a month and CS5.5 came out (back in 2010, and I believe that was the first release that they offered both types of licenses), in 7 yrs (which has come and gone from that time) I would have been paying more for subscription then perpetual license (and that is with getting the new version every single time with the perpetual license as well). For the same product. If it was different tiered products, that may be something else.

Add in that anything can change at a moment's notice and they don't have to tell you (why I make such a stink of people knowing the EULA's that they agree to) and your truly locked in and have to deal with it. As is the case that brought this thread up. Just have to roll with it.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
WildWest: That was a thoughtful reply. I started with Mac because of PostScript back in the '80s, became familiar with the interface, and just stayed with them. Along the way I have bought and used dozens of PCs, and I find Windows nowhere near as elegant and keeping them running a constant headache. Years ago I stopped worrying about it, and just went with the Macs. I probaly spend a little more money (certainly you can get better performance specs for less money with a Windows or Linux based system), but I appreciate the Apple OS and "ecosystem" and the workflow for production, communication, security and backups is seamless to the point of almost being invisible.

Everybody has different needs, and my system may not suit everybody. But I have no complaints, seldom run into issues, and actually enjoy working on the Macs. The analogy I use is that it is like a driving a BMW instead of a Chevy. They both get you there, but the BMW has a nicer ride and is more fun to drive.

MikePro

What's the point? I use Macs and find them to be reliable and well built. I simply do not have the time to "build" a computer when I can just order one ready to go. If you are cheap, just get a mini.
aaaaand that's where they get ya. overpriced, but convenient/stylish/just-good-enough performance in a pretty box that becomes a paper weight when they decide to force you to buy new in a few years. To each their own, i guess, but when you can spend a couple hours to build a computer for $2k, that runs twice as fast and has twice as much memory, versus a $3.5k Mac "pro"....then how much is your time worth, really? Literally paying myself $250/hr to wind up with a better product that I know that much more about and have the ability to upgrade along the way.

WildWestDesigns

becomes a paper weight when they decide to force you to buy new in a few years.

To be fair, "you" actually run this risk with any of the main closed source software/hardware OEMs out there. That's just a fact of that necessary evil. Any update, in order to take advantage of any of the latest and "greatest" technologies can force you to have to upgrade your setup sooner then "you" would want. And since a lot of users out there are forced with this updates as well makes it even greater of a chance. It's actually already happened with some hardware out there. Some I think were stuck on the Anniversary Update.

Back in the 90s, used to "joke" that the updates slowed down (among other things) computers to force an upgrade. I think Apple was accused of that as well in recent years, especially with their phones.

Keep in mind, with the rolling release nature of Windows (even Enterprise has had some of their update strategies changed in recent months, even if we were to legally qualify for using that version of the OS), it's essentially Beta software. Beta software and MS doesn't have any in house testers for it, it's entirely the Windows Insider userbase.

I would actually try to get as much resources as you can afford for the rig as Win 10 does have more overhead then others (mainly proportional to what you have the telemetry settings set to (if they actually do anything more then act as a placebo, hard to know for sure). Telemetry (even if you don't have a concern with the privacy implications) is a hog on resources when it compiles and deploys that info and it doesn't always happen during inactive hours. And try to get as new as you can. That does have a trade off with initial support woes, but longer support thereafter would typically be better.

There is a debloat Win 10 script around there as well. May actually have to run it after every update. You do have to use Powershell (oh the irony of having to use CLI, doesn't matter what system your on, for the most control still need to use good ole CLI, don't have to, but it does allow for more power) though in order for it to run.

I'm not usually a fan of 3rd party solutions for stuff like this, debloating, controlling updates should be able to be controlled natively within the OS. There were plenty of viruses associated with the 3rd party "don't get Win 10 programs" that everybody was quick to grab. So use those things with caution.

better product that I know that much more about

That is one of the appealing things about Linux to me. Not necessary to use and enjoy it, just a nice bonus and can know more about the system then either Windows or Mac.

However, I need to add this caveat, this is not an endorsement to convert to that solution, what works for one doesn't always work for another (despite what some people on here think of what my position is on the subject). I'm only mentioning this as one aspect that appealed to me when I switched to Linux versus what was going on with the Windows and especially the Mac side of things.