• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I just got asked how long it will take to print 15,000 ft. of magnets! :-D

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, with the setup the site has, it's impossible to look at your profile, so unless you give us the particulars, your question is kinda lost.

* What size magentics ??
* What kinda printer ??
* Is this direct print or print to vinyl, laminate and apply ??
* Are they all the same ??
* What kinda timeframe is needed ??

DeadDoc

Oh Sorry. I was just laughing at the question. I probably should have added that. I'm mostly laughing because the printer went crazy with smearing issues a month ago. I have been slowly getting things back to normal so normal print times are not there just yet but print times went to about 5x the time or more. But all that aside, HP Latex 360 direct print no lam required, 48" wide stock. 57,000 Letter and 57,000 half letter sized.

I am not certain on the timeframe but I can inquire.

DeadDoc

Don't bother, just farm it out and be done with it.
That's why I was asked on the run time actually. The customer or someone doesn't like the outsourced cost. This is a small part of a massive job that we are trying to procure so this is outside of my hands but I feel they will notice how much the magnet material costs and they will back off.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Do you have a target price you need to be? Might be something we can work out with you?

james at firesprint dot com if you want to discuss it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Something of that size job with a limping printer, there's no way a wholesaler will cost more than you can do it and still make money. Like me, they'd use a flatbed and knock it out quickly. No monkey time needed, whatsoever.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Have you direct printed to magnet stock on a roll to roll Latex printer before? I didn't realize that was a thing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that printer a roll-to-roll ?? If so, you can't direct rpint to magnetic...... can you ??

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yes, depending on the stock you can print on it with your 365. We used to do it all the time!

It will be slow and you will waste a ton (about 6ft per roll) of material in the process though.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yes, depending on the stock you can print on it with your 365. We used to do it all the time!

It will be slow and you will waste a ton (about 6ft per roll) of material in the process though.
It works without putting it to take up if you don't really really need it. You just need the shields in the heater bottom plate and you can start with that usual 1 feet waste.
Should I add that this probably also depends on the stock.

DeadDoc

Have you direct printed to magnet stock on a roll to roll Latex printer before? I didn't realize that was a thing.
Yes. I have not tried to print on our 30mil but I have done direct to mag with the HP latex 360.

Lin ft. 57k Ltr and 57K Hlf Ltr sized magnets. Weeee. I ain't got time to trim out 114,000 magnets!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'll get it. Don't worry. It'll take a while, but you'll eventually get there. It's like pulling teeth outta your head trying to get your information and quite frankly, I don't have time for reindeer games, so suffice it to say, if ya don't wanna do the intelligent thing and farm it out, then just keep doing what you're doing............ :banghead: Feel familiar ??

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Chances are that your client probably doesn't need 30 mil magnets for a half page size magnet anyway. There is no way you are going to be sane if you try this job on your printer. And you say your client doesn't like the outsource cost, but they shouldn't be looking at the same cost as you if you are wholesaling them anyway.

DeadDoc

Maybe I should recap this with, I was only laughing and having fun with this internal request and not actually asking for direction as this was in the general chit-chat.

They are not getting 30mil for this order, I was only stating that I can direct print on magnets just not sure if I can on 30 mil as someone inquired about the ability to direct print to that type of stock. Our sales guy is a little new to the industry and isn't fully aware of capabilities.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Maybe I should recap this with, I was only laughing and having fun with this internal request and not actually asking for direction as this was in the general chit-chat
I'm wondering if you were able to answer the original question; "How long it will take to print 15,000 ft. of magnets?"

DeadDoc

I'm wondering if you were able to answer the original question; "How long it will take to print 15,000 ft. of magnets?"
A few months ago, yes, now is just a spitball and pray.

Due to a bad printhead that was installed or bad ink, we have been having to slow the machine down to avoid streaking/smearing issues and just starting to slowly speed it back up. Most things are having to print at 10 pass or higher to avoid major quality issues. The matte vinyl had to drop 20% density and run to 1500 interpass delay and that was smearing horridly. OMAS is shit and im starting to have to adjust my advance on about 1/3rd of what I run to avoid horz banding, almost all maint is needed, and so on. I am having to deal with this until we can order in a new printer.