• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I just made the biggest blunder one could make on a full wrap for a full size van

Christian @ 2CT Media

On vans we do the fenders, door, then the rear section in 2 horizontal pieces and tuck the seams in the channel below the window.

Besides the point though, if you have a 5 panel setup widen panel 2 and 4.

ddubia

"Widen panel 2 and 4. "

Why didn't I think of that? I was prepared to reprint 3 panels for each side.

That's why I love this site and all you cool people on it. It's like my brain is now hundreds of times larger. Like a "hive mind". Like the Borg. :cool:

Nuagedesigns

Reminds me of the time I had my first install of a full wrap inside my first tiny install bay.....We had about 3ft to work on one side of the van....long story short pulled the van out after first side was done to turn the van around and it was about 4" out of level.....Ford Transit......Needless to say we sent someone the next morning to get more material as it was late at night at this point and we were fresh out of material. Reprint....install.... and don't do it again...

We are also a shop that likes individual panel files....Many a times I have had one of my installers on the road call up and sy that either we forgot to print a panel or something happened during install. And it makes it easy for any of the techs to go in and reprint the file exactly how it should be with overlaps already set.

TheSnowman

I've never printed a wrap in house for part of this reason. I'm not ballsy enough to take the risk when a merchant here will do it for just about my cost and assume all the risk. I had my first wrap I ever did shipped to me, and sure enough, it had the same problem. I thought I was just losing my mind, but after talking to the printer found out it was an error on their part. They stood behind it, reprinted it, and overnighted it for Saturday delivery. I had it Saturday morning, and had it done by Saturday afternoon. Somehow seems like we all make it work in the end, it's just not always pretty getting there.

phototec

Anyway, to answer your question on how to fix the mistake (IMO) is to recreate the center panel on each side stretching out only the center area of the panel, leave the edges (about 6") as they are so they will match-up and blend with the existing panels, you will add more image ONLY into the center part of the panel (did I make sense).

A photo of the layout would be helpful?

:smile:

On vans we do the fenders, door, then the rear section in 2 horizontal pieces and tuck the seams in the channel below the window.

Besides the point though, if you have a 5 panel setup widen panel 2 and 4.

"Widen panel 2 and 4. "

Why didn't I think of that? I was prepared to reprint 3 panels for each side.

That's why I love this site and all you cool people on it. It's like my brain is now hundreds of times larger. Like a "hive mind". Like the Borg. :cool:

I said the same exact thing in post #11, however, because you mentioned something about 3 panels per side, I was saying to stretch the center panel, so yes if you have 5 panels, you need to do what I said for panels 2 & 4. I was under the impression you ONLY had 3 panels, but the fix I mentioned works in either case.

I guess you get it now?

ddubia

Well you guys convinced me to set my own overlaps and out individual panels. That will be the future with me.

When I first started doing cut vinyl I made all my own overlaps because I didn't trust Flexi. Well, I let flexi do the cut vinyl overlaps now but I'll do my own for paneled digital print jobs. I feel so much more comfortable having the control rather than holding my breath over the unknown duties of a piece of software. Maybe it'll be like my mistrust of Flexi in the beginning and I'll eventually cave in.

This would never have happened had I not been concerned about color shifts but that's been solved as well with rotating every other print. I learned a lot on round. Almost makes me glad I messed this job up. Nahhhhhh.

So here's what we're doing. The boss don't want to reprint 4 panels based upon the customer, the condition of the van the selling price and so forth. So I'm printing strips and applying them as suggested by SightLine.

So it's all good. I'll post pictures when it's done.

phototec

yes you can butt up the seams and then lap a strip down as the overlap.

called a "flush cut seam"

http://read.uberflip.com/i/236088
page 113 (118 if using the online page count)

Don't do this. It's a recipe for disaster. Your panels WILL separate and leave a white gap. Take it as a lessons learned, make overlap half inch, and start over.

good luck.

:goodpost:

+1 - Don't do this or you will be redoing the entire job over in a few months, Coloradosigns has done more wraps than most of us and knows what he's talking about - take heed or pay the piper!

:thumb:

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I've never printed a wrap in house for part of this reason. I'm not ballsy enough to take the risk when a merchant here will do it for just about my cost and assume all the risk. I had my first wrap I ever did shipped to me, and sure enough, it had the same problem. I thought I was just losing my mind, but after talking to the printer found out it was an error on their part. They stood behind it, reprinted it, and overnighted it for Saturday delivery. I had it Saturday morning, and had it done by Saturday afternoon. Somehow seems like we all make it work in the end, it's just not always pretty getting there.

WHOAH WHOAH! Who? I want their contact info. The cheapest I've seen cast wrap vinyl with lam printed outsourced is twice my cost of doing it in house.

TXFB.INS

I would NEVER ever slop-up the job by adding a small strip to cover the seam (what s your customer going to think when he see that), bite the bullet and reprint the two center panels after making them fit.

really? how is that article portraying a "slop-up" job? looks very clean and professional.
Granted that articular is about a solid color and this is a gradient shift but the concept is proven.

Don't do this. It's a recipe for disaster. Your panels WILL separate and leave a white gap. Take it as a lessons learned, make overlap half inch, and start over.

good luck.

yeah if you don't overlay the seem strip as stated / shown in the article.

+1 - Don't do this or you will be redoing the entire job over in a few months, Coloradosigns has done more wraps than most of us and knows what he's talking about - take heed or pay the piper!

:thumb:

so your cast (assuming you are using cast) is going to fail in a few months? may want to start looking into better materials

perfect word there would be no screw ups or need for redo.
this scenario personally I would reprint the middle panels with extra overlaps and then install as normal rear to front. that will ensure there is the usual overlap and not an edge forward
Because trying to get an exact match with the gradient shifts to line up correctly too much hassle.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

BUMP
Where are you getting digitally printed and laminated Cast wrap vinyl for "about cost"???
Several of us are asking.

boxerbay

I would fix it with 1.5 strips.

5 panels? I would 2 horizontal panels. the seam would be in the horizontal channel that runs along the length of the van. makes life easier not having to line up a long phone number along the bottom of the van over 5 panels.

TheSnowman

I guess we can call B.S. on TheSnowman's claim about wholesale wrap vinyl since he's choosing not to answer the question.

Settle down Beavis...some of us have stuff to do other than just jockey on 101 all day.

Insignia printed my last one. I'm thinking it was around $3.50/sqft. By the time you figure your vinyl, laminate, and ink costs, you are in the $2.25/sq ft area doing it in house...at least showing what Feller's charges for all that stuff (obviously depending which brand you use).

Those of you freaking out at me saying that it was "just above my cost to print"...yes, I consider that just above my cost. I don't own a laminator other than the Big Squeegee, and I don't have rolls of material sitting around sucking up my cash. I'm a small one man shop, so yes, $1,000 in materials that aren't being used on a regular basis is a big deal to me from time to time.

For me, paying that extra $1.25/sq ft is worth it being risk free for me, because I KNOW that what I'm paying, is all I'm going to pay as far as the printing is involved. Just takes a lot of the risk out of it. I've printed 30' banners and had a head strike in the last couple feet and had to throw the whole thing away. Sometimes it's just not worth the risk to me.

Back to your regular name calling and freaking out...

phototec

Settle down Beavis...some of us have stuff to do other than just jockey on 101 all day.

Insignia printed my last one. I'm thinking it was around $3.50/sqft. By the time you figure your vinyl, laminate, and ink costs, you are in the $2.25/sq ft area doing it in house...at least showing what Feller's charges for all that stuff (obviously depending which brand you use).

Those of you freaking out at me saying that it was "just above my cost to print"...yes, I consider that just above my cost. I don't own a laminator other than the Big Squeegee, and I don't have rolls of material sitting around sucking up my cash. I'm a small one man shop, so yes, $1,000 in materials that aren't being used on a regular basis is a big deal to me from time to time.

For me, paying that extra $1.25/sq ft is worth it being risk free for me, because I KNOW that what I'm paying, is all I'm going to pay as far as the printing is involved. Just takes a lot of the risk out of it. I've printed 30' banners and had a head strike in the last couple feet and had to throw the whole thing away. Sometimes it's just not worth the risk to me.

Good post, honest and sincere, nothing wrong with that.

Knowing the facts that you provided, I go along with you decision, not having a laminator for a bid wrap jobs, it's wiser to out source the work as you have done, IMHO

:clapping:

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

As for "just above cost"...I suppose it was a subjective enough and open to interpretation claim. So, sorry for calling B.S. (not name calling)
$3.50 vs $2.25 is $700 vs $450. If that is just above cost for you...my mistake.
You just had some of our hopes up on an awesome wholesaler.
I was comparing it to the VAST majority of us on here (Vinyl, Lam, Ink) who print in house. So yeah, I suppose if I don't have a printer or a laminator...anything would be exactly at cost considering whatever I pay a printer to provide the wrap materials to me for is "my cost".

I hear ya on that banner. Same thing happened to me. Exactly. Thought My head was going to explode all over the shop. (my employees tucked tail for sure)
I sub out ANYTHING that long to avoid the risk as well.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have a vendor we use sometimes for larger prints than our machine can handle (and yes they are a MM on here too) that will print for just about our cost doing it here for us for a 180c/8519 combo. And we're already at the lowest price-point our vendors offer... However, we prefer the flexibility of printing most pieces here where we can see if anything is coming out wrong and halt the job.

If you outsource, you better be SURE you've triple-checked art/measurements and printed a sample before you hit send, cause vendors can only print exactly what you send them.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Also, I have no idea how old your Onyx/PC are that you ripped this on, but one of our two systems occasionally hiccups and doesn't print overlaps at random or does something else odd for no reason. (time to upgrade!) However, when you go back in and check it'll show where overlaps were correctly set, etc. if you pull the fill back up to check it and it is set to 0, then I'm guessing it was a user error.

TheSnowman

As for "just above cost"...I suppose it was a subjective enough and open to interpretation claim. So, sorry for calling B.S. (not name calling)
$3.50 vs $2.25 is $700 vs $450. If that is just above cost for you...my mistake.
You just had some of our hopes up on an awesome wholesaler.
I was comparing it to the VAST majority of us on here (Vinyl, Lam, Ink) who print in house. So yeah, I suppose if I don't have a printer or a laminator...anything would be exactly at cost considering whatever I pay a printer to provide the wrap materials to me for is "my cost".

I hear ya on that banner. Same thing happened to me. Exactly. Thought My head was going to explode all over the shop. (my employees tucked tail for sure)
I sub out ANYTHING that long to avoid the risk as well.

No harm no foul. I'm sure when you print wraps on a daily/weekly basis, that's not a good price, but for me, the guy who lives in a town where no one will pay they money for one, it's been a great resource having MM's that can bail me out on stuff that would normally plug up my shop for days, and I can get on making money doing stuff I can print in house with the stuff I already own.

And to the original poster, nothing wrong with running CS2 and older software if it still works. I don't do any design in house, so I ran CS2 till about a month ago when I upgraded my Mac. I don't upgrade RIP's until I upgrade printers. Just haven't ever seen a need for it when it works fine still. Maybe I'm old fashioned...at 31 years old.