• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

i love you ALL already

Cressida

gtjet said:
Welcome from Wyo-Braska, just north of you about 3 hours or so.
Good luck too.

used to live in wyoming ... powell
wouldnt be surprised if you have NO clue where that is since really ... nobody does but that's ok
where in wyo/braska are you? *curious*

Cressida

Bobby H said:
Hi Cressida, welcome to the forum.

I notice you're from Colorado Springs. A good deal of my family lives up there (parents, grandmother, aunt & uncle & their kids). Are you studying graphic design in the 'Springs?

My advice on marketing one's work: develop a strong portfolio and keep updating it with improved work. Formal study in art schools and other programs can help you develop more focus on the portfolio. In marketing for a good job with a major sign company or environmental design firm your portfolio will need to demonstrate a strong and sophisticated sense of graphic design and typography.

You can take the portfolio and show in a number of different manners. High quality printed "tearsheets" (in postcard, rolodex or other formats) is a traditional method that still works. Doesn't hurt to have your own website either.

Indeed i am in the springs! love it here ... LOVE it here
i snowboard so it's a great place to live in those terms
moved here from new york
i miss it *sob*
going to school here in the springs
sort of ... i was going to the art institute but i wasnt a big fan of the online trip so i think i'll be looking at taking the denver route and looking for a school there
thanks for the advice btw!

Cadmn

my Son graduated from AI dallas in computer 3-D modeling but works at local CVS in mgmt. depending on your area there might be money in car graphics & your friend should offer them if he is already selling to that group, my advice is design a couple & get him to try it. My .02

Cressida

Cadmn said:
my Son graduated from AI dallas in computer 3-D modeling but works at local CVS in mgmt. depending on your area there might be money in car graphics & your friend should offer them if he is already selling to that group, my advice is design a couple & get him to try it. My .02

AI is a great college ... i just dont think that their online is managed very well.
i guess i feel that there are certain classes that really shouldnt be taught online.
as far as the graphics for the cars ... he does a whole lot of 'rice burners'
you see those cars all over the place with more decals that you can imagine.
i'm really working on convincing him to get that added on to his services. that's why he has the machine after all ... but he doesnt have the time so he's sort of asked me aboard to help out because i know the design/software end of things. i'm a little weary about windshield decals ... but i think (like you do) that it would be a great thing for him to start dabbling in!

Derf

If you want to do well in graphic design... you have to be willing to move around, but their is great money in Corrugated Packaging Design working for companies like Weyerhaeuser, Georgia Pacific, and other paper product companies.

I have old Co-Workers that make 6 fig incomes after being in the biz 5-7 years. If you get an MBA, they pay more. I still get job offers from time to time from my old contacts in the biz for positions ranging from 60k-140k.

Being a production artist or even a creative artist will not fruit much income over 60k but become a technical artist in a specialized field for a huge company and the sky is the limit

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Cressida said:
moved here from new york
i miss it *sob*

NYC? Or upstate?

I lived in NY twice. Once when I was a kid and my father was in the Marines. His public affairs "MOS" allowed him to study photo-journalism at Syracuse University. I lived in NYC for five years, earning my BFA at School of Visual Arts during my time there.

By the end of the fifth year I was ready to leave NYC. But there are times when I miss it. I'm a big movie fan and loved visiting the big single screen theaters like the 1100 seat Ziefeld in Manhattan. I was looking at satellite photos of NYC using Google Earth, and was able to see a couple places where I lived. Cool, yet a little creepy as well. Google Earth is a killer application. You can waste hours of time sight seeing with it.

Cressida

Bobby H said:
NYC? Or upstate?

I lived outside the city ... about 60 miles
Middletown/Walkill area ...
great place to be because it wasnt a lot of the city
but you could go to the city by hitting the throughway and be there in no time...i really do miss the city
there are just certain things there that you dont find anywhere else
one of the major things i miss ... REAL italian food
that's hard to find here in CO
and i know what you mean about google earth
though i think that at times it's outdated ...
i've looked up a couple places that i've lived and it seems like the pictures
are years old ...