• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I must be an illustrator idiot...

TheSnowman

I am so fed up with not being able to outline, and then cut something easily in Illustrator. I am trying to figure out a way do an outline on something, and have it on another layer, so that I can make that my cut layer, and cut on the outside of the outline w/o a bunch of screwing around.

I use FineCut to do a frame extraction, but if you have a letter or number like "O" it will only cut around the outside, and not on the inside. I can do the effect and get the lines on it by doing Object>Path>Offset Path but then it's all grouped with the original text, and if I ungroup it, I have to go back through and re-select everything I want. I know I'm just missing something here. For cryin' out loud, Composer on my 1995 Packard Bell is 100% simpler with this function.

Anyone got any tips here? Plug in's...ANYHTING.

Biker Scout

Offset Path is the correct way... the partial groupings is annoying, and didn't happen in previous versions.

Anyway, the quick work around is to copy the object (Letter "O" in your case) BEFORE you do the Offset Path command.

Then as soon as you do the Offset Path command, use your pathfinder pallet and weld/merge your mess. (Expand groupings faster by holding Option or Alt Key when hitting the Merge button)

Then paste in front (Command "F")

You now have 2 pieces that are related but not grouped.

rjpjr

I can do the effect and get the lines on it by doing Object>Path>Offset Path but then it's all grouped with the original text, and if I ungroup it, I have to go back through and re-select everything I want. I know I'm just missing something here. For cryin' out loud, Composer on my 1995 Packard Bell is 100% simpler with this function.

Anyone got any tips here? Plug in's...ANYHTING.

Here is your solution. Make sure that multiple objects (line of text) are not grouped prior to using the Offset Path command. Select the objects you want to outline and and fully ungroup. Leaving them selected choose the compound option. Once the objects (line of text) are compounded the Offset Path command works fine not grouping everything into a crazy mess. Learned the hard way.

TheSnowman

BOOYA! The first one from Biker worked...but this second one seems to work easier...at least for me. Thanks guys. Looks like there are several ways to do this...all of which are really annoying.

Biker Scout

The only problem with "Compound" is that if you ever need to release it to ungroup it later on, you lose the Holes in the center of letters and shapes. Could cause problems on complex artwork.

Text to Outline
Copy
Offset Path
Merge/Weld
Paste in Front

or

Text to Outline
Ungroup
Compound Path
Offset Path

rjpjr

Yep...the copy method works as well. That was my workaround for quite a while. I just got tired of copying and pasting all the time.

:corndog:

luggnut

outlines and contours are something that flexi is better at... like the discussion on an earlier thread... i think flexi node editing tools and the outline, stripe, distort,.. are superior to illustrator.

Biker Scout

Strokes don't cut on the plotter as a width item. You have to Outline Stroke once you are done.

Yeah, Corel and those other programs are better at having a canned outline/drop shadow effect than Illustrator. In the past there have been plug-ins for Illustrator that did those things with one click.

Copy & Pasting can be tedious, I agree. But I'm a keyboard short-cut junkie, and practically don't know what to do when I get on the Windows side of things, when there's no command button, and what's up with the start menu instead of control? HAHA! :doh:

P

ProWraps™

no no no. there are no illustrator idiots. only flexi masters.

TheSnowman

Now you've got me wantin' to buy Flexi instead of update Illustrator. Sounds like to really master it, you need both of them.

luggnut

if you can get the flexi version without the RIP... it might be a good deal
with the full flexi pro with the RIP included is expensive.
but for things like making contours and node editing it is better suit to cutting vinyl. don't get me wrong i love illustrator and use it daily, but for straight up cut vinyl flexi is better to me. its effects and outlines are tailored for cut vinyl. node editing is easier to me also

SignsBES

Goup your offset path FIRST

Assuming your text is in a layer by itself: As soon as you create your offset path, while it is still the selected object(s) - Group it. Then Object\Arrange\Bring to front. It will be the top object in the group so you can find it easy. Now select the whole layer, shift/select the offset path group in the layers pallet, to UNSELECT it, then group the other objects in the layer into another group. - Voila! a layer with 2 groups - One is the letters, the other is the offset path for the letters. I agree - Composer was way better at this.

Last edited:

visualeyez

I had a long post typed out about how I do this in Illy, but I realized that it takes like 6 steps. There are dozens of ways to do this, but in the end, does number of mouse clicks really make a difference? Get comfortable with your software, and you will be efficient.

Mason

The only problem with "Compound" is that if you ever need to release it to ungroup it later on, you lose the Holes in the center of letters and shapes. Could cause problems on complex artwork.

Theres an easy fix: After you ungroup, reselect the objects including the "holes" and ctrl/cmd + 8 you will find your once compounded graphic is back to where it was prior to compounding.

-----------------------------

Text to Outline
Ungroup
Compound Path
Offset Path
Correct!