• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need a slick method of laminating vinyl to aluminum sheet

chrisinestes

I've got a bunch of aluminum signs to do. Some are 24" x 36" and some are 36" x 60". They get premium cast opaque vinyl for background color, with vinyl lettering on top. In the past, I've just masked my vinyl and squeegeed it on like any other vinyl. It works fairly well, but I get a few bubbles in it, and it takes quite a while.

I need a better way to get the vinyl on these larger panels. I can't use the printed air-release type vinyl do to job specs. I'm also on crutches, so it's even harder for me to reach across my production table to squeegee the background color vinyl down.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks,
Chris

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Would a small cold roll laminator work?

We use our laminator for mounting 8'x4' panels all the time, so a smaller unit might achieve what you need.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you don't have a manual laminator and with your mobility issues I'd do the backgrounds wet.
Set them up crossways on the end of your table so you only have to reach out to the 2ft height.
Or you could knock out an easel - use it to set the blanks up within easy reach.
layout table.jpg

wayne k
guam usa

Z SIGNS

A flatbed laminator would be perfect for this.

You could do it in wheel chair.

If you don't have access to equipment like this then something like Dales big squooger would be my next choice.

Might be tough on crutches though.

Maybe you can recruit some help.

Hope you get off the crutches

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

Have you looked into a Big Squeegee for that application? A 38" Laminator Tool will do the job for both sizes.

OADesign

I've got a bunch of aluminum signs to do. Some are 24" x 36" and some are 36" x 60". They get premium cast opaque vinyl for background color, with vinyl lettering on top. In the past, I've just masked my vinyl and squeegeed it on like any other vinyl. It works fairly well, but I get a few bubbles in it, and it takes quite a while.

I need a better way to get the vinyl on these larger panels. I can't use the printed air-release type vinyl do to job specs. I'm also on crutches, so it's even harder for me to reach across my production table to squeegee the background color vinyl down.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Like many have already said, a cold laminator would make short work of this. The way we do here is load the vinyl exactly the way you would normal lam. Liner rolling up on the take up reel and all. Then, just push the sheets through. Make sure the sheets are pretty square to the nip. Let the sheet catch and go. Just separate the sheets and trim after. With out knowing your vinyl roll size, I can't tell you how its going to yield. Yes, it may be a bit wastey on the vinyl. But the man hour vs cost of vinyl should make the waste a non-issue.

TXFB.INS

+1 for the flat bed laminator.

If that is not in the budget or spacing, then a wet stick is the next best option for bubble free

chrisinestes

Thanks for all the input. I need to come here more often!

I don't have a roll laminator of any kind, so that's out of the question.

I've thought about getting a Big Squeegee from time to time. I just didn't know which version to get. I'd want to be able to mask vinyl, as well as lay it down on substrate. I've watched the videos, and the various BS models look really handy. It seems I'd need 2 different BS models in order to both mask & laminate well. So once again, I'm stuck with wondering which to get, an if it would work well for needs. What would you recommend, Dale?

I think I'll give a wet transfer a try first. I like the idea of placing the panels vertically, too... That way I'm not working so much against gravity.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks!
Chris

chrisinestes

Long story short... I ended up trading with a vinyl wrap shop. They did the laminating, I'll do some CNC routing for them.

Chris

CanuckSigns

For a big production shop that already had a roll to roll laminator a flatbed could come in handy for some jobs but it would be pretty limiting if that is the only laminator you had.

We have both, the roll laminator hasn't been used in well over a month, if I can do it on the rolls roller, I do, so much easier and faster!