• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need your recomendation and experience for digital printed outdoor sign vinyl.

appstro

Hey everybody,

I have been doing signs for about 3 years now. I have done quite a few signs that are outdoor and most seem to be holding up well enough. Except for one I saw recently while visiting my customer and noticed that her sign which is exposed to constant sunlight, is cracking at places where I made holes for mounting screws and then covered in the same vinyl. The print is also fading faster than I would like to see. It was installed 2 years ago. Looks pretty bad..

I use oracal 3640 for the prints and orafol 210 matte for the lamination for almost all my outdoor signs. I was told that this was decent vinyl for signs and I was pretty happy with it in general. Its very affordable for the quantity that you get. I print with a Roland SP-300 using OEM eco-solvent inks. On outdoor signs I usually mount them to polymetal 1/4 inch thick and counter sink mounting holes that are later hidden by round vinyl circles.(same vinyl and lam as the sign vinyl).

I am beginning to rethink all this now. The Oracal 3640 is obviously NOT for signs. Maybe OK for indoor use and short term stuff.

I am limited to 30 inch width so I need to find 30 inch or slit 60 inch width.

What would you recommend for outdoor digital print media and what laminate would you use with it? I want my signs to last at least 5 years...

As always, thank you for your kind and experienced advice! :)

appstro

Thanks, I will probably do the 3951 then. Is there anything as good but perhaps more cost effective? The 3951 and 290 are about $4.00 a linear foot.

2B

that combo is strictly for temporary applications.

try BigFish, He is a MM here and he is on the East cost so easy access and can suggest some 3rd party vinyls
Bigfish Digital Media Broker 714-369-3321