• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I read all these ways 'to' and 'not to' do things in signland......................................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It really baffles me how many people report on things that are supposedly accepted by industry standards, that really are not. I've been doing this over 50 years and still learn things, but when I read or see things in which people post will work or is normally found and it's nothing more than someone saw this on utube or saw it done by some hack, it makes me realize why there are so many do's & don't on the books. Y'all wonder why there are so many codes and rules to follow, then just go on your merry way and do it like a frickin' dolt.... only to come back and b!tch about how you were treated.

Just because something will work, does not make it an industry standard way of doing things.
Just because someone wants it done a certain way, does not make it a justifiable method.
Just because the customer only wants to pay so much, does not make it your job to find the impossible.
Just because, just because, just because.................. there are laws and rules on the books and from the school of hard knocks which dictate what means/methods should be followed.

Not making this a topic of finding the dumb or ridiculous examples, but rather to discuss why people think they can re-invent the wheel ??

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
“what about this wheel thingy? It sounds a terribly interesting project.”
“Ah,” said the marketing girl, “well, we’re having a little difficulty there.”
“Difficulty?” exclaimed Ford. “Difficulty? What do you mean, difficulty? It’s the single simplest machine in the entire Universe!”
The marketing girl soured him with a look “All right, Mr. Wiseguy,” she said, “you’re so clever, you tell us what color it should be.”

BigNate

... well, not to reinvent the wheel, but how did the wheel get invented? how are new things invented? how are good ideas spread across industries? if no one tries anything new, then progress completely stops.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Some things don't need to get reinvented, when experience, or research helps you find an answer (S101). New and original solutions can be developed, but often times, wiser heads have got there, and made it standard, or even regulation.

Got reported today by a safety elf, because I didn't have an inspection tag on my (two sided, stable wide feet) ladder, on an 8 degree incline, stood on the face heading down slope.

Stood 18" from the ground.

Fricken elfen safety.

BigNate

Some things don't need to get reinvented, when experience, or research helps you find an answer (S101). New and original solutions can be developed, but often times, wiser heads have got there, and made it standard, or even regulation.

Fricken elfen safety.
be careful, you are starting to sound like Charles H Duell - Commissioner of the US Patent office at the end of the 1800's..... he said: "Everything that can be invented has been invented" ---- obviously he was very wrong.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Sometimes you gotta go with what works. If 4 wheels doesn't work, add another one.

1710969606134.jpeg

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
It really baffles me how many people report on things that are supposedly accepted by industry standards, that really are not. I've been doing this over 50 years and still learn things, but when I read or see things in which people post will work or is normally found and it's nothing more than someone saw this on utube or saw it done by some hack, it makes me realize why there are so many do's & don't on the books. Y'all wonder why there are so many codes and rules to follow, then just go on your merry way and do it like a frickin' dolt.... only to come back and b!tch about how you were treated.

Just because something will work, does not make it an industry standard way of doing things.
Just because someone wants it done a certain way, does not make it a justifiable method.
Just because the customer only wants to pay so much, does not make it your job to find the impossible.
Just because, just because, just because.................. there are laws and rules on the books and from the school of hard knocks which dictate what means/methods should be followed.

Not making this a topic of finding the dumb or ridiculous examples, but rather to discuss why people think they can re-invent the wheel ??
I’d like to know what sent Gino in the “rant”…..

Not that he is wrong in any way. A lot of people think rules/regulations/etc don’t apply to them or the just say screw it…..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So far, all the examples shown (except prosign) have been engineered, repeatedly tested and then tested some more, before ever leaving the drawing board. That's what I'm really talking about...... the tried and fuly proven ways of doing things. Not just going off willie-nillie.

Oh yah, I saw a guy do this here thang and in the end, he got it working, but the bandages on his head, prevented him from ever doing it again, BUT he swears by it.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Using a John Deere like that has to be outside of their Terms of Service. I'll bet Corporate will remotely brick the tractor's ECM as soon as they read this thread.
I was operating a similar John Deere tractor once with about 25 hours on it.
One of the hydraulic lines separated at the connector because of a bad crimp.
The bucket slammed into the ground hard, if anyone was under it, it would have been bad news.

monroesigns

I was operating a similar John Deere tractor once with about 25 hours on it.
One of the hydraulic lines separated at the connector because of a bad crimp.
The bucket slammed into the ground hard, if anyone was under it, it would have been bad news.
Yeah, and that's why when I use a ladder on the bucket I make SURE I am not harnessed to the bucket so I can jump clear, LOL.