• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I run my business out of my house crew. I need some help

rambo555

I work from a home shop. My business is actually only run after my full time job. The only issue I have with working from home office is space and how you deal with customers visiting your shop. I rarely have visitors come to the shop. When I do, I make sure that everything is in tip top shape. It can ruin an afternoon if your havign a "messy" day and then someone wants to stop in. If you can deal with that, then I say go for it!

Techman

Sign shops shouldn't compete with each other. We should all charge the most we can and add on plus install. We all help each other by charging the right amount.

The only real competition is the "other" things that overlap into the sign world. That is where we lose value. Let them compete with each other. Let them be cheapo.

Rooster

Curtis I'm very happy to hear things are going well for you!
I know you moved and started from ground zero. May your success continue.

Geez I'm glad techman replied to you. My name is Curtis too and I was completely lost trying to figure out who this maniac in Florida was and how he knew my name and that things were going well after my move.

Biker Scout

Just because you're home based, doesn't mean you have to run a flight-by-night operation too. You still need to run your books as if you had overhead, and were planning on expansion and growth. That's the only way you can stay ahead and know what your true margins are. Also, putting money aside for end of the year taxes and sales tax out of each job. Putting money aside for equipment repairs or purchases. Putting money aside for paying yourself. All that stuff seems to be forgotten by most home based sign guys. They think that 85% of the gross is theirs, and are living the American Dream.

Even if you want to fly under Uncle Sam's Radar, if you do things right throughout the year, at least by year's end you will be sitting on a nice chunk of change. Then you can decide just how legit you want to be. :cool:

B Snyder

I've had a shop for over 10 years. My daughter, who just turned 3 in September, went to daycare ($1,050/mo) until about 5 months ago. My twin boys were born in May and we made the decision that when my wife returned to work I'd stay at home with the kids during the day and just go into the shop at night and on Saturdays when necessary. We weren't willing to spend $30k/yr on daycare. My wife's benefit package is worth over $20k/yr and she has 15 years into her pension, plus she loves her job so there was no way she was going to give that up. My business phone is now forwarded to my house or cell during the day. I'm in my fourth week of this new schedule and it's not easy but it's working out. Answering the phone, talking to clients and taking orders is easy. Keeping a 3 year old and two 5 month olds happy is the hard part. Business hasn't suffered at all, I've actually had an increase in orders lately. I'm working more efficiently because when I get to the shop at night I don't have phone calls or solicitors coming in to interrupt me. I'm fortunate that 99% of my work is repeat business and referrals. I dont advertise and you wouldn't find my shop without really good directions anyway. The shop next to mine helps by taking all my deliveries. If you can work out an arrangement like mine it might work for you. Even if I had the space and a large garage I wouldn't want clients coming to my home and I wouldn't get much done when my focus is on the 3 kids anyway.

OldPaint

i was HOME BASED, in sarasota from 86-98, moved here and set up a STOREFRONT. that lasted 22 months.
i spent $10,000.00 in rent alone, for that time and decided to build on our property, a shop TO MY LIKING.
for $8500.00 i got the basic building, and another $5-8000.00, i got convrete, doors, insulation. best thing i ever did.
i WORK WHEN I WANT TO..........people come here and get work done, and like the "homey" feel. if i want to work between 1 AM- & 4 AM...........i can, if i want to sleep till NOON, i can.

Service Sign Co

I enjoy working from the shop I built out back,customers don't enter the main residence.
The shop size has some limitations as to the more sizable and interesting metal fabricated signs that were once done in house.
Including rent,there was also UL inspectors,fire marshals,spray booths,customers walking in wanting little cheap signs and more to worry about.
Now days,I don't even own an alarm clock.