• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I was hired to wrap a vehicle and now they are mad at me... my blood pressure is through the roof!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Gino has a point. You sure you want to mess with an AI graphic artist? Here's an image of one of their online designers...

Terminator-2.jpg
Is that BobbyH?

ikarasu

You can actually tell them to save it as a PDF. You can download a simple PDF password removal tool and boom...you got their Vista print art in vector format.

You can just open the pdf... And goto print to pdf and it'll re save it as unpassword protected.

Most people only password protect editing...Not printing.... And printing to pdf saves it as a vector so 90% of time you can just print to pdf and don't need to use any software or online program :roflmao:

So for all of those who don't want their artwork / proofs stolen.... Rasterize your image at a low dpi so it can't be blown up bigger than 8.5x11.

Last edited:

RabidOne

You can actually tell them to save it as a PDF. You can download a simple PDF password removal tool and boom...you got their Vista print art in vector format.
Way back you used to be able to open pdf's on a mac in Colorsync (who knows why that would work) and resave them. It would remove password protection.
Then someone at Apple realized that might be a problem and that ability was removed.

MikePro

client realized they screwed up by providing low-res images & saying "GO"
you screwed up by showing that you care.
client is now trying to cover their arse by documenting distaste in an email, in hopes you back-off additional charges or they simply refuse to pay entirely because the "customer is always right".

demand down-payment, and don't release the wrap until it is paid-in-full. you were contracted to receive files, print & apply. the issue is on their-end, but kudos for trying to make them happy... however, I feel like they are now trying to renegociate after the fact.

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
Im in a bit of a pickle and as of right now I am mad af. Not sure who am I should be mad at yet.... Yes.. in a perfect world, this could have been avoided but I wonder what you guys would do in my case. This is not gonna be short but I would love some help and your 2 cents. I will try to keep it as short as possible. I'm supposed to be on a phone call with them in the morning.
A Media company contacts me about a food truck to wrap. I'm supposed to print and install it. They tell me it will be only wrapped for 1 month so no need to use expensive material.
After I gave them a price they approved and gave me the files.

They gave me the design!!

These files were created in illustrator with a separate tif file linked to the vector file. Also, they had an outline for the food truck. Since I took measurements I have seen that some dimensions were off by many inches so (free of charge) I have adjusted everything! Everything looked fine to me. I printed everything out. I looked at the printer here and there when I could.. Everything looked ok but when I was laminating I realized that each side has 1 panel with a bottle on it that was low quality and pixelized. I went back to the file they sent me and looked at it and realized the linked image they had in the folder was a ONLY 3 inch image ( at 300 dpi) that was blown up to be 80 inches!
Looking at the design itself which was in 10th scale I could NOT see the issue unless I zoomed in like %300-400. Everything looked fine at %100 view. I feel the designer should have linked an image at the right size. I tried to resize the image to 80 inches at 72 dpi which looked a LOT better but still kinda pixelized. Everything was laminated at once so I I I only saw the issue when I was laminating. I have emailed them with pictures and told them we could either reprint the whole panel ( it will cost this much) or just reprint the bottles which have 2 inches of stroke so I could just reprint it a little bit bigger and overlay it and it would be basically half the price of the full panel. He asked me why he wasn't made aware of this PRIOR printing.
I explained to him I could not see the pixels when I looked at the file. Everything looked fine on the computer and I have looked at the print multiple times but out of the dozen panels printed, I did not manage the actually take a glimpse at the print right at the moment when those bottles were printing. Every time I looked at the print everything was sharp and looked good. At this point, I explained this to him and gave him the price and pictures, and told him what was the issue and why it happened. He emailed me "Go ahead an install".
Which I did. Then the email comes in the afternoon. 10 hours later when I installed both sides already:
"Have you started installing as yet?"
-Yes.. both sides. ( I answered)

He emailed back:
"You sent an email stating the side needed to be replaced then installed it?
You also laminated an inferior print
I’m dumbfounded
Before any more work is done I need a call …. This is beyond crazy
I’ve been in business for 22 years and have NEVER seen anything like this
A professional would have reviewed the files completely prior to printing on piece.
Stop all work until I speak with you."

Don't know what to say....Sure.. next time I should zoom into everything %500... Even if I did a test print I would have not seen it.
If they had sent these files to alwanwraps or weprintwraps to get it printed they would have printed it as-is; the same way. Unfortunately, my website does not have an upload button for files with a disclaimer of whatever you upload here that's what's gonna get printed. btw if I didn't adjust nearly everything then a bunch of text would have landed on tail lights on the back and other texts on the side across openings and whatever else. So I feel like I was already nice enough to look over their stuff I just missed that quality on the bottle because it wasn't visible.
They designed it then why didnt they see the problem on their end first? Their design after 20 years he should understand u design ur responsible we design we are responsible period end of sytory

I bet if you posted this same question on a Graphic design message board you would get completly different answers lol.
Naw, I'm a graphic designer who now works in sign making, and if he supplied a file not suitable for print - that's 100 percent not the printer's issue. When getting graphics designed you should go to someone who has experience with that type of design work for the needed application. Just had a similar issue with a designer creating a large scale mural graphic with only pattern designing experience. Pretty much had to teach them how to reformat it and do a bunch of work myself. It wasn't even on any scale.

But yeah- Customer is at fault. You were nice enough to offer to re-do and cover up, and he DID say go ahead with installation in writing after being notified.