• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I was hired to wrap a vehicle and now they are mad at me... my blood pressure is through the roof!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's similar to one of our line items.

Can't tell ya how many times the designer put copy over the body molding, didn't acount for a nasty obstacle in the vehicle or literally have wrong sizes.

edit: cripes, this isn't even a wrap, but a customer sent us a ready-to-cut file for a simple door lettering job. The door was a normal size and the glass area they had written in was 24" x 36". They sent the file, I added the cut-lines to it and realized all the copy would go beyond the glass..... and the frickin door. I e-mailed their specs and a picture of what it would look like, if we use their specs. Lady said, oh, please, can you do it ?? Sure, it'll cost $72.50 + tx more. Oh thank you, please do it. It took about 2 minutes to reduce their files down to about 40% of their original size and make it all fit. Charged them for 1/2 hour of work, but I still didn't start til they saw the revised drawings.

brdesign

I bet if you posted this same question on a Graphic design message board you would get completly different answers lol.
When I was design school we had one project that we were required to have printed at the campus printing press. The teacher gave the printers very strict instruction to not correct our files or even tell us if they found a problem with them. If our files didn't print correctly we had to pay for our own reprints.

FlorenceC

Coffee first. Your problems later.
PrintReadyMeme.png

I need to put this on a t-shirt and wear it at work.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
There's a cliff's notes version, 'if you give a mouse a cookie', but it leaves a lot to be desired, it's like reading between the lines on that carnagie book, "how friends influence dale carnagie."
I've heard of "if you give a mouse a cookie". Never heard of Give a Moose a Muffin though... is it longer?

gnubler

I feel your pain, OP. Been there many times. In their eyes, it's all your fault.

Garbage in, garbage out. You printed what the "designer" gave you, any problems are on them. I wouldn't have touched or moved anything, you could make it worse and then be held liable. If I can tell right away a graphic is low-res I'll tell the customer and they can decide how to handle it.

"It looks good on my screen" :p Usually that phrase is only used by customers, not operators.

Ldiprinting

Had a similar issue a few years back, it was a colour issue, we printed the customer supplied file, installed it (52 seat bus) and they didn't like the colour. I printed the file again and it was the same, I printed another file we had done previously and it was perfect However they were blaming my printer! I ended up redoing the whole thing at my cost. There was enough money in the job to not hurt too much but I treat these issues as a learning cost. 3 years later they hire us to remove the package! Trust me they paid! It's called karma

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
If the client sends artwork not already on a template, I'll create a template of the vehicle, usually in Flexi because I am faster doing it there, and then place the template in Illustrator or Photoshop, depending on how the art files are created. This way I will see where things drop on the vehicle and see any blatant problems. I then create panel borders, showing where each panel will drop approximately with the overlap shown. In doing this, I create a jpg file of each side with my company title block on each pic and a indicia stating that "approval of the artwork above assigns responsibility on the client".
If an aspect of their artwork was low-res, it will show up this way as it was already stretched, saved, and then reduced in size. The piece of artwork that is pixelated will still be like this when sent in the jpg proof.

CanuckSigns

If the client sends artwork not already on a template, I'll create a template of the vehicle, usually in Flexi because I am faster doing it there, and then place the template in Illustrator or Photoshop, depending on how the art files are created. This way I will see where things drop on the vehicle and see any blatant problems. I then create panel borders, showing where each panel will drop approximately with the overlap shown. In doing this, I create a jpg file of each side with my company title block on each pic and a indicia stating that "approval of the artwork above assigns responsibility on the client".
If an aspect of their artwork was low-res, it will show up this way as it was already stretched, saved, and then reduced in size. The piece of artwork that is pixelated will still be like this when sent in the jpg proof.
"It looked fine when I looked at it on my phone in the drive-thru"

Stacey K

I like making signs
That's why I hate customer supplied artwork. No matter how experienced the designer is they rarely seem to have it right. I usually do look the artwork over closely and would tell them but in this case, it's not just a 4'x4' area. I would also offer to print the bottle and put it over the top...no cost. More than that, explain to them that you made numerous changes already. Maybe send him back a file with red circles on everything you changed so he can see what a screw up he is. LOL That might be taking it too far I guess.

I had a customer send me a logo file. He had layered 5 logos exactly on top of each other. I think it was a PDF. I opened in Flexi and I just printed it on the banner. It looked great so I never unmasked it. They never caught anything weird on the proof. Come to find out he had 5 logos layered on top of each other (black and white, one with a shadow, etc.), but only one was the official logo. He blamed me for not knowing what their logo looked like. I told him I never had anyone layer them all on top of each other when I just needed one logo. To me it was laziness on his part to not just send me the one he wanted. I did not reprint it. I offered to give him a discount but said I've never had anyone send me a file like that, if they want a logo they send "the" logo, not multiple logos for me to pick through for the right one. When the receptionist came to pick the order up, I showed her on my computer. She went back and yelled at the guy LOL. He felt bad after he yelled at me and said it was his fault for not advertising enough so that people like me would have logo recognition. OK? I can recognize most business logos but if they sometimes add a shadow or change something up, either I don't really notice or you figure they changed the logo? I guess it was part my fault also but geez...just send the right logo over.

Not sure if I helped you or not LOL Let us know what happened!