• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

icc profile settings

amp267

im trying to print a simple black and white decal. im printing it on orajet 3164g, im also using the icc profile i got from the oracle website. im using my roland versacamm 54 sp with versawork, or versacrap like some people call it.

heres the issue, the black prints grainy, almost like its using the other ink cartridges, i just need black. i didnt really mind it to much untill i printed on some 3m contral tac wrap material, with the proper icc profile of course. that stuff prints freaking sweat, i love the way it looks, the black looks like it was screen printed with black ink, freaking amazing.

my question is, can i get the same look using orajet, i did try using the 3m profile but it layed way to much ink down, it sat on top of the material like a drop of ink landed on it, way to much for this marterial. is there something i can do with the settings, does anybody have a better profile they can recomend.

Techman

yes, the black is made from the other colors.. Pure black is k 100%

But I don't know your machine so that is about all I can say..

dblwider

If your black is not a nice deep black and that's what your going for chances are that profile is only using black ink. Try editing the file(better yet if you can replace the color in your rip do it there) to use a 4 color black. Start with this c-30% m-30% y-30% k-100%. This is a possible simple fix-no guarantees- lot of variables involved with profiles.

If you have a loupe take a look and see how much of each color the profile is laying down and work from there. If you don't have a loupe get one it will come in handy.

100% k will not be a deep color in most cases unless it's an exceptional ink or you over saturate it(double strike).

3m profile looks better because it's using more c-m-y. Causing cure issues on the orajet. Just got find that happy medium of 4 colors that will cure on the orajet material.

Best of Luck

amp267

If your black is not a nice deep black and that's what your going for chances are that profile is only using black ink. Try editing the file(better yet if you can replace the color in your rip do it there) to use a 4 color black. Start with this c-30% m-30% y-30% k-100%. This is a possible simple fix-no guarantees- lot of variables involved with profiles.

If you have a loupe take a look and see how much of each color the profile is laying down and work from there. If you don't have a loupe get one it will come in handy.

100% k will not be a deep color in most cases unless it's an exceptional ink or you over saturate it(double strike).

3m profile looks better because it's using more c-m-y. Causing cure issues on the orajet. Just got find that happy medium of 4 colors that will cure on the orajet material.

Best of Luck

sorry for the newbie question, but whats a loupe

amp267

of course, i always forget about google, may bad.........as far as the issue goes im getting closer thanx for your advice, its working, nice and dark with the changing my cmyk settings in coreldraw. i also set versaworks to print on max density, that also helped. im still a little heavy on the ink, but i think i can hit the sweat spot by lowering my cmyk values, or should i take off max density and raise my cmyk. ill try both, unless you think otherwise

the problem now is the speed of the print head, at least i think thats the issue. the print head moves alot quicker when i use the orajet profile, as opposed to the 3m profile. i think the fast movement is causing small specs of black. so my question is, can i slow down the print head some how. im not to worried about speed for this job, just quality.

thank you so much more your help, greatly appreciated

bbeens

A loupe is a fancy word for magnifying glass. Similar to a jewelers loupe, usually 8x or better ones are 10x. If checking calibration for print head replacement I have seen Mimaki techs with 50x - overkill for what you are talking about.

If possible also check the UCR / GCR setting for your profile. This will have a big affect on the resulting ink being laid down. If you don't have a profiling software package then you are out of luck with this step.

Bryan

dblwider

I think your on the right track, the density setting is what is slowing down your print speed if I'm interpreting your post correctly. bbeens is probably on target with the GCR setting for the orajet profile your using, but if you've never built your own profiles or your relatively new to 4 color process those settings can be a bit confusing. When using profiles supplied by vendors or manufacturers,I would suggest printing some pantone color charts for the various medias and profiles your using, this way if you run into a bind you can look at the chart and see if one of the colors is a better match, then simply change it to that color in Corel. I've got an excellent collection charts that include 4 color blacks somewhere, I'll see if i can track them down.

BTW- great definition on the loupe,bbeens, sorry I did not elaborate further I was walking out the door to a jobsite.

talk to ya later

amp267

actually im trying to get my printhead to go slower, i think its to fast which is causing some specs of black to land in other areas. i want to be able to slow it down so it prints slower so it wont leave the small specs of ink. all this is when i use the orajet profile

now if i print with the 3m profile the print head is slow, i assume its slow because of the amount of ink its laying down. if i can use my orajet profile, with the speed of the 3m profile. i think i will be right on. im just wondering if there is a setting for printhead speed only, and nothing else.

sorry if i explained ot wrong the first time

dblwider

You've got me there, I've never used a "versa" anything, printer or Rip, the only thing i can suggest is to closely compare the settings between the 3m and Oracal profiles. You've probably already done that, hopefully another Versacam user can give you some incite on print speeds for your machine.

amp267

i got the color down just the way i want it, this second time it seems to look a bit cleaner. i think it should be acceptable. thanx for all your help.

if anybody does know how to slow down the printhead, or another suggestion on the speckle problem, please chime in. i appreciate it. thanx

shooter

i got the color down just the way i want it, this

if anybody does know how to slow down the printhead, or another suggestion on the speckle problem, please chime in. i appreciate it. thanx

use the material hold down clamps. clean your machine on auto setting first, then manual clean if still a problem. In printer settings you can set speed and raise head heighth.

actually im trying to get my printhead to go slower

User Defined Media Profiles, including RML files pulled down from media manufacturer web sites can be edited for carriage speed. Roland's profiles cannot be edited. Here is what you need to do to change the carriage speed in Vewsaworks 3.x:

Media Menu > Media Explorer. In the resulting window, click on the media that you are looking to edit (left pane), then click the print mode that you are looking for in the right pane (Mode List). Click the line adjacent to the green checkmark. Then click the rainbow check icon, called Print Quality Settings. THis will take you to the page where the Head Speed value can be adjusted. Again, this will be available for non-Roland created profiles only. It will be grayed out for Roland's profiles.

Bob