• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Idea about making this sign

willkho

Hi all,
Got a customer that want us to create a neon sign like this (please refer to the attachment).
I've found a premade round neon box and I got an idea how to make the extruded logo (using cnc).
However the writing/holes on the side (will glow at night), i really have no idea.
Can't cnc that because it's not flat.
Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• signage.jpg
    signage.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 355

rjssigns

You would need to fab the can from flat sheet, or find a shop with a 5 axis water jet or laser to work with the existing shape.

Looks like a fun project.

Rocco G

Actually that's not all that hard, though I've been making lit signs for way too long. The cabinet outsides will have to be made from flat sheet metal and the lettering cut out (router or water jet) and then wrapped around a welded aluminum (or steel) frame. A sheet metal roller (slip roll in the USA) will be best tool for that. The hardest part will be to get it to illuminate evenly. Whoever made that one did a good job. What I've done in the past (though not something that small) is get metal angle rolled into a ring (you'll need two) and build the frame around that. That way you have a nice strong frame. Melbourne is right on the ocean so I assume you have to deal with high winds at times. This sign lights nicely out to the perimeter so avoiding shadows is the hardest part. Even clear plastic will show a shadow. if you could get the customer to let you do a "channel letter" face with trim-cap that would make your life much easier. i suspect that they like that nice clean look and won't like the trimcap. The knife/fork are easily done on a CNC router and glued to the face. I really doubt that's lit with neon (though who knows). I'd use LED modules in a grid and add more to light the lettering. Hmm, I recently replaced LED's in a similar sign and I'll see if I still have the photos of the inside of the can. if so I'll post them.

if you don't usually make illuminated signs, you may be biting off more than you can swallow. I'm sure that there must be someone you could sub the job out to in such a large city.

SignEST

If your CNC guy has enough clearance to get past his CNC bed to reach the width of your text this should be pretty easy. It's a circle so all you have to do is rotate it at the correct intervals which you can easily achieve. Use glue on paper measuring tape from IKEA or w/e.

Front of the machine not side obviously since the gantry will hit it before it clears anything.

Cheap solution if you're still trying to find a way.