• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ideas on how to mount vehicle graphics

Stormyj

Just another guy
Hi All.
Second post on this site. Was looking for some input on how to apply the attached graphics onto a van. I have put graphics on vehicles before but never this size. As you can see by the pic, the graphic is fairly large and has floating letters and whatever inside the graphic. I though about printing it on white vinyl with a contour cut around the black, weeding and then applying a low tack application tape to the image, hanging from the top and working my way down. The door print isnt a problem. What are your thoughts? Would you do it different? Also, I would probably charge around $500 for the job. Too much? Too little? I got my thick skin on so fire away. I appreciate any help that you all can give.
Jim

Image1.jpg

HulkSmash

900+ for something like that.

Print, cut, weed, mask. Apply.

Center Hinge, and work from the center out.

PMac

God I hate that I'm having to compete with people like this.

At least $800 for this. Using cheap cheap vinyl. Like ShineRite or something. Hopefully you can digital print the white and black together as one piece and not have to float the black in on top of the white.

Think of all the prep work alone! This is what you need to do.
Imagine how long it wile take to do this job. Computer time, cutting, masking, cleaning surfaces and installation. And double that time (because that's REALLY how long it's gonna take) and think $60 per hour + materials. You want to make a living at this right?

HulkSmash

God I hate that I'm having to compete with people like this.

At least $800 for this. Using cheap cheap vinyl. Like ShineRite or something. Hopefully you can digital print the white and black together as one piece and not have to float the black in on top of the white.

Think of all the prep work alone! This is what you need to do.
Imagine how long it wile take to do this job. Computer time, cutting, masking, cleaning surfaces and installation. And double that time (because that's REALLY how long it's gonna take) and think $60 per hour + materials. You want to make a living at this right?

You just suggested shine rite digitally printed on a vehicle, and you're complaining about competition?

That's a 15 minute per side install. Not a ton of time in the labor of it.

Biker Scout

I hope the van isn't that dirty when you get it, otherwise it will take more time to install. Make sure when they have it cleaned that you tell them not to wax it or you will have to charge extra to remove the wax, or the vinyl will fall off.

But seriously, this has potential to being a really cool van... just gotta kill that crap on the door. But yeah, 30 minutes if you are doing it by yourself.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Great input guys. I have a sc540 so I will print it on white and then contour cut it. hinged in the center is a good idea. Have never done it like that. Center as in center to left then right or center to top and then bottom? And I want my prices comparative. I do work out of my home at the moment, so not much overhead, but I want to do good work and charge accordingly. Thanks again.

letterman7

See, I'd approach that just the opposite - cut black vinyl for the bodywork and a simple white outline for the windows (to mimic the black inline). No printing involved. I'd still be over $500 simply because it's a colossal waste of material cutting just an outline.

J Hill Designs

center hinge side to side. lack of overhead dont mean squat - do you have aspirations AT ALL to open a shop location? if so, do you want to have to DRASTICALLY raise your prices when you do?

Mosh

print-LAMINATE-cut-weed-mask-apply. LAMINATE! I would side hinge this. On installs I kinda go by how I feel, hung over days are different than those rare non-hangover days.

As far as price, LOW I'd be $800-$1000 including two sides and small back door.

Biker Scout

I know right? I always interpret that as, "I like leaving money on the table, because being part of the working poor class is fun!"

4R Graphics

Ok simple enough print+lam+cut+weed+transfer tape.

Install center hinge.

Ok for the price everyone has different pricing but here is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Figure out your shop rate its really easy figure out what you want to make this year (personal income) add that to what a building and all the crap it needs (electric, phone etc) add a growth amount (this is money you will use to grow your business every year) now add it all up we will cal that the "nut". Ok now how many people work for the company (just you ) so 1 employee how many hours aday can you devote to the business (lets say 8) now you have 8 hours but you can not bill 8 hours aday so lets say at best 4 hours aday so we have 20 hours billable a week (assume you take a vacation) you have 50 weeks at 20 hours so max 1000 billable hours a year. Take the NUT we figured and divide that by the 1000 hours and that is what you need to charge per hour plus materials (and you should mark up materials but you dont have to) Now heres the big thing time there needs to be a time average (example I can wrap a van in 6 hours colorado can do it in probably 4 and you may take 12) just because I am faster than you doesnt mean I charge less (the hourly figure we calculated above) ther is an average somewhere that works. Ok now that you have your shop rate figured out go around town and get a quote for the same job from a few companies and adjust accordingly (the quotes are just to get an idea of what the market can bare) Hope that helps and please listen to what I have said or you will be one of those guys who ruins the market for everyone else as you give crap away and run yourself out of business.

Good Luck.

Jillbeans

I'd project that and paint it.
:smile:
No p!ssing around and very easy/economical.
I'd do the ugly door lettering in vinyl.
Love....Jill

SIGNTIME

For me I would print on air release cast and center hinge perpendicular to the graphic it would take me longer to trim in the windows than to lay the vinyl total 10-20 mins per side including getting place and taped where I want it, and I agree charge more please.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Ok simple enough print+lam+cut+weed+transfer tape.

Install center hinge.

Ok for the price everyone has different pricing but here is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Figure out your shop rate its really easy figure out what you want to make this year (personal income) add that to what a building and all the crap it needs (electric, phone etc) add a growth amount (this is money you will use to grow your business every year) now add it all up we will cal that the "nut". Ok now how many people work for the company (just you ) so 1 employee how many hours aday can you devote to the business (lets say 8) now you have 8 hours but you can not bill 8 hours aday so lets say at best 4 hours aday so we have 20 hours billable a week (assume you take a vacation) you have 50 weeks at 20 hours so max 1000 billable hours a year. Take the NUT we figured and divide that by the 1000 hours and that is what you need to charge per hour plus materials (and you should mark up materials but you dont have to) Now heres the big thing time there needs to be a time average (example I can wrap a van in 6 hours colorado can do it in probably 4 and you may take 12) just because I am faster than you doesnt mean I charge less (the hourly figure we calculated above) ther is an average somewhere that works. Ok now that you have your shop rate figured out go around town and get a quote for the same job from a few companies and adjust accordingly (the quotes are just to get an idea of what the market can bare) Hope that helps and please listen to what I have said or you will be one of those guys who ruins the market for everyone else as you give crap away and run yourself out of business.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the input. I will definitely figure this out. I want to be competitive and not leave money on the table.