• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If you were to replace hp5500's what would you get

KR3signguy

I'm looking to replace (2) 60" HP5500's with something else that is quicker and has the same image quality!
I'm open to replacing it with a another solvent if there is one that can print as good because it can free up jobs for our roll 2 roll at times but the quality has to be nothing less of excellent.
I'm asking you guys for opionions of what to look into before we go with another HP.

wes70

I have a hp z2100 which prints excellent for what I use it for, although it's not considered a production printer. Have you looked into the z6100 printer, it took the place of 5500.

cptcorn

adad
also what's the worth of an 5500 nowadays?

We have one sitting around we don't use much, and can't find a buyer. Looks like you can pick them up for $2500. Worth sitting in the corner for us.

Just out of curiosity what are you mostly producing with it?

RobGF

The Z6100 does have much nicer image quality and is quite a bit faster (read lots faster). Great for trade show applications, posters, etc. You'd be hard pressed to find a UV curable or solvent/ecosolvent that has the same quality level. Yes, aqueous isn't as versatile as UV curable or solvent/ecosolvent but it still reigns supreme for image quality.

KR3signguy

You'd be hard pressed to find a UV curable or solvent/ecosolvent that has the same quality level. Yes, aqueous isn't as versatile as UV curable or solvent/ecosolvent but it still reigns supreme for image quality.

I fugure that but hoping there is a solvent that is just as good.

Billct2

How about materials cost?
A 5500 vs the Z...for printing the low end paper stuff, which would be cheaper per S/F?
Right now the HP with aftermarket ink on cheap poster paper, economy setting, is about .50s/f, is something like the Z cheaper than that?

RobGF

I fugure that but hoping there is a solvent that is just as good.

Word on the street is that new Epson solvent does a very nice job. A competitor of mine just installed one and he's raving about it... and he's a serious player so his evaluation seems valid to me. It's not super fast like the HP Z6100 but the colours should rock for solvent as it's running an Orange and Green...

But I guess it all depends on what it is that you want to accomplish. As I mentioned, and you acknowledged, aqueous is still the gold standard for inkjet quality.

RobGF

what EPSON did he get? been reading on the 9880.

He got the Epson GS6000 solvent. Word on the street is that it is really impressive for solvent technology.

The 9880 is a great printer but even more so a niche printer than the Hp5500 and z6100 which have been discussed in this thread. You want to do fine art? Great choice. You want to do anything else? Too limiting, too slow.

OldPaint

iam never gona do a wrap. or anything of that size. iam 63, small stickers, truck doors, and yes fine art, as the wife does a lot of photo stuff. and i want something that dont have to be run 24/7.

RobGF

iam never gona do a wrap. or anything of that size. iam 63, small stickers, truck doors, and yes fine art, as the wife does a lot of photo stuff. and i want something that dont have to be run 24/7.

Go right ahead and get it. Be prepared for your decals and truck doors to fail. This is not an outdoor printer. Sure, some might argue that you can buy certain media with it and lamination and you may get a few years. But I doubt it. The media you buy is also going to be "speciality coated" all the way and therefore very expensive. Did I mention the "not an outdoor printer part"?

Fine art printer. End of story. Right for for some of the things you want to do, wrong for others.

SeaWriter

Like RobGF said,
The Epson GS6000 is the new super high quality, 12 color and a true eco-solvent printer, and it will be a print on standard non-top coated, cheaper materials than the HPZ6100 or other aqueous printers.

At this level of the game it's either one or the other.

KR3signguy

1440 x 1440 dpi 16-Pass 32 SFPH
1440 x 720 dpi 8-Pass 71 SFPH
720 x 720 dpi 8-Pass 91 SFPH
540 x 720 dpi 6-Pass 122 SFPH
720 x 720 dpi 4-Pass 180 SFPH
720 x 360 dpi 2-Pass 340 SFPH
Typical Print Job Speeds A
Fine Art Reproduction 91 SFPH
Photo Quality Vehicle Wraps 71 SFPH
Everyday Sigange Production 180 SFPH
Typical Outdoor Banners 340 SFPH

interesting.... although I'd like faster but quality is the most concern.
I wonder how this matches up to a Mimaki JV5?
I'll have to dig.

RobGF

1440 x 1440 dpi 16-Pass 32 SFPH
1440 x 720 dpi 8-Pass 71 SFPH
720 x 720 dpi 8-Pass 91 SFPH
540 x 720 dpi 6-Pass 122 SFPH
720 x 720 dpi 4-Pass 180 SFPH
720 x 360 dpi 2-Pass 340 SFPH
Typical Print Job Speeds A
Fine Art Reproduction 91 SFPH
Photo Quality Vehicle Wraps 71 SFPH
Everyday Sigange Production 180 SFPH
Typical Outdoor Banners 340 SFPH

interesting.... although I'd like faster but quality is the most concern.
I wonder how this matches up to a Mimaki JV5?
I'll have to dig.

I think the really exciting thing about the Epson isn't speed (because it's not really that impressive) but your colour options. I would think that with good colour management with the additional O and G channels, you'd be able to hit a lot more Pantone colours than with a traditional CMYK (or CcMmYK) device which is always a big deal if you do corporate work. And of course better reds. Imagine a solvent non-sucking red?

While I haven't used one, word is that the ink dries very quickly and while the engine might not be super quick, at least you'd be able to use the prints straight away and that can help balance things out.

Sounds like at the very least it's time for you to request some print samples to get the ball rolling...

premiercolour

Merchant Member
You might want to try hp9000 solvent printers. Good quality+ good speed. You may pick up a used hand for good pride nowadays.

We supply Epson 9880 ink cartridges and HPz6100. Excellent color/ 100% feedbacks.