• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If you're missing a letter in a sign... just stand and pretend you are that letter

unclebun

I would guess they made them from steel. We did a project like that, but much bigger, for our community. It's not meant to have people go up to it; it sits on a hill along the highway into town. We did ours from aluminum with a mesh back. Initially they were going to have a local steel fabricator make them but getting them up the hill and installed, plus the ongoing antirust maintenance, was how I convinced them to use us. I had the letters fabricated by a sign shop in the nearest big city. They are white but we lighted them with color changeable LED lighting.
Lighted sign Christmas-red & green #2.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It is an interactive feature for people who want to celebrate their city, what would you have designed and installed? Most of your contributions are commenting on poor purchases and showing off a nice truck (I am still praying every night that one day you find a rookie cowboy sleeping in the bed of it since you live in Frisco).

I would enjoy a look at you portfolio.
Are you high?

I wasn't demeaning the sign...I like it, The statement that a sign company did not make it wasnt an insult...I thought it was an interesting fact.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
A sign company didn't make it.

Oh man...this will surely ignite some serious discrimination law suits...and maybe a even riot or two.

What if I'm bold but I identify as an italics, will it show? And what about those who identify as pan-serif, will they still feel welcome?

And you just know there will be couples where BOTH identify as lowercase...WTH?

And finally...let's not even begin to discuss the Pantone number....dang.

Stop this insanity!

JB

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
What's with all the hate? It was a simple post.. The fact that it wasn't made by a sign shop means it might not
be up to codes...
I dunno, Ive seen stuff coming out of structural steel shops and stuff coming from sign shops. For what this is, Ill put my money on the structural steel guys.
Wasn’t there just a post about a flimsy sign cabinet that was fixed with some bubblegum welded aluminum tube?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I dunno, Ive seen stuff coming out of structural steel shops and stuff coming from sign shops. For what this is, Ill put my money on the structural steel guys.
Wasn’t there just a post about a flimsy sign cabinet that was fixed with some bubblegum welded aluminum tube?
Right...just because it wasn't a sign shop doesn't make it not a sign. I would bet it's made better than 80% of the sign shops out there would do.

Last edited:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Right...just because it wasn't a sign shop doesn't make it not a sign. I would bet it's made better than 80% of the sign shops out there would do.

Hear ye, hear ye...fab shops already have the equipment to make the magic happen, especially since the proliferation of CAD, waterjet, laser and plasma. I have to believe that a lot of them are in the process of improving their layout and design skills in order to jump into the sign market. Sure, it's a "poke in the eye" for sign shops, but well-established fabricators would be absolutely foolish not to do so...just sayin'.

Around here, garage-shop fab companies are popping up like dandelions after a long summer's rain. The most prolific items found on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are ornate fire rings and (so-called) metal "wall art". It's the 21st century equivalent of peeing Calvins, once the hottest rage in the 90s.

Technology continues to offer up some wonderful tools, but unfortunately the democratization and commodification of your bread and butter is at hand. Just a few decades ago stereo lithography prototyping shops were getting top dollar for 3D printed prototypes. Today, you can buy the equipment and the software for what a moderately complex prototype cost back then.

On a side note: In the early 2000s, we still had an independent local record shop. Yes, those large vinyl disks with grooves, clicks, pops and white noise were still available back then. As hard times had their way with many small business, they started a little coffee bistro in their record shop and were able to tread water long enough to wait for the tide to turn in their favor. And now that vinyl has been making a steady comeback, they've really been kicking arse.

The moral of the story: stay lean, stay agile, and stay alert.

JB

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Hear ye, hear ye...fab shops already have the equipment to make the magic happen, especially since the proliferation of CAD, waterjet, laser and plasma. I have to believe that a lot of them are in the process of improving their layout and design skills in order to jump into the sign market. Sure, it's a "poke in the eye" for sign shops, but well-established fabricators would be absolutely foolish not to do so...just sayin'.

Around here, garage-shop fab companies are popping up like dandelions after a long summer's rain. The most prolific items found on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are ornate fire rings and (so-called) metal "wall art". It's the 21st century equivalent of peeing Calvins, once the hottest rage in the 90s.

Technology continues to offer up some wonderful tools, but unfortunately the democratization and commodification of your bread and butter is at hand. Just a few decades ago stereo lithography prototyping shops were getting top dollar for 3D printed prototypes. Today, you can buy the equipment and the software for what a moderately complex prototype cost back then.

On a side note: In the early 2000s, we still had an independent local record shop. Yes, those large vinyl disks with grooves, clicks, pops and white noise were still available back then. As hard times had their way with many small business, they started a little coffee bistro in their record shop and were able to tread water long enough to wait for the tide to turn in their favor. And now that vinyl has been making a steady comeback, they've really been kicking arse.

The moral of the story: stay lean, stay agile, and stay alert.

JB
We work with a lot of fab shops and wouldn’t foresee any of them ever wanting to get into signs. They stay swamped doing what theyre doing and make a killing at it. Maybe they are the ones that should be worried about the sign guys trying to play in their sand box?

As much I like the sign, it's painfully obvious that there was no use of typographic design involved in this when there clearly should have been. I'd like this even more if the letters were structured properly.