• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator files won't delete or save over.

I can't delete or save over some of the illustrator files that I have exported as Illustrator Legacy EPS. It gives me an error like "Can't save the illustration. The file is locked or in use. Adobe Illustrator ID = -54"

What is going on here? I have a whole bunch of unneccessary junk files. I try to delete it and it says the file is in use by a program. But I just restarted my comp and it won't delete. Has someone had this problem? Is there a solution to this problem. I've done a google search on the error but I've found nothing.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Have you (right click on PC and Properties, CMD "I" on a mac) clicked on your file icon and seen if it's "locked"....

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There will be a little box in "properties" or "Info" that will say "locked" or "read only"

Nevermind. I found a program called Unlocker. It tells me what process is using it. It's been the Explorer.exe file that's been holding the file hostage. I wonder why though.

geedub

better go get another drive and back up your artwork files, that drive is probably going to need to be reformated as it sounds like you have a virus.

skyhigh

IM REFRESHING THIS OLD THREAD....
Having the same problem myself. My first response was to read thru the adobe website. It dosen't sound like anyone there has a definitive answer. Everyone had a different solution, or "unblocker" software to download. Ugggg

So, 2 years and 3 months after this thread was started, let me ask for an updated solution. Does anyone have a proven and safe method for deleting these files?

Thanks.

PS. Mine are not "legacy" files. simply saved ai files, that when I try to delete...move...rename, says its in use by another user or program.

skyhigh

Thanks for the responses. Next question..... Being this is a well documented problem with Illustrator (never had this problem with ANYTHING else), why why why can't Adobe address this with a solution themselves? Just something about using a program to correct anothers shortcomings just dosen't seem right....or safe.

:banghead:

skyhigh

I've never got this message message before, cept on a couple of those xxx sites I visit. :rolleyes: (jk)

I believe this is the "Unlocker" program? If you look at the end of the address bar (hard to see), it says "unlocker"

Back to my question.....
Is there a proven & SAFE method?

Attachments

• Screen Shot.jpg
    Screen Shot.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 125

skyhigh

Thanks Jhill. I simply typed in "unlocker" in google, and it brought up that colluumm.unlocker program.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post the link.

Techman

I believe this is the "Unlocker" program? If you look at the end of the address bar (hard to see), it says "unlocker"

Back to my question.....
Is there a proven & SAFE method?

To sad you found a hijack site..

Unlocker is used by the best IT techs around to do exactly what you want.