• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator Performance

jfiscus

Rap Master
Got back my report, computer is getting old and slow after 3(?) years but still doing huge graphics all day long, lol.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 170

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 21.05.41.png

Illustrator 26.5 Macbook pro 17.1 16GB ram
Illustrator, PS, ID, outlook, word, excell, 20+tabs in firefox.

I really should shift my productive work away from the old MacPro 5,1, but it keeps my feet warm in winter.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Here is what I get on my Apple Studio with 32gb ram

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 11.31.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 11.31.52 AM.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 173
Well you guys are all screaming faster than I am, I am using am old Mac Book Pro. Not sure what model.

Attachments

• Illustrator Test.png
    Illustrator Test.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 149

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 18.13.54.png

2010 MacPro 5,1 32GB RX580 High sierra with Illustrator 23.11
No too shabby for a storage heater

Fechin

So you think newer Illustrator versions are faster? I just wrote a script for sanity check :roflmao:

My average score is 1010 millisec with version 2022 and 810 on 2021 (not sure build number)
I just noticed recently that in Illustrator's settings, that you no longer allocate the size of the Scratch Disk. That is now determined by Windows itself. The default of which is set at 4gb. I switched it up to 20gb and noticed an immediate difference.
For windows 10 you can find it here: https://win10faq.com/how-to-use-your-hard-drive-as-ram-in-windows-10/
For 11: Start Menu and type "adjust performance" and it should be the first thing on the list. Then you can set it under the Advanced tab and Virtual Memory

WildWestDesigns

I just noticed recently that in Illustrator's settings, that you no longer allocate the size of the Scratch Disk. That is now determined by Windows itself. The default of which is set at 4gb. I switched it up to 20gb and noticed an immediate difference.
For windows 10 you can find it here: https://win10faq.com/how-to-use-your-hard-drive-as-ram-in-windows-10/
For 11: Start Menu and type "adjust performance" and it should be the first thing on the list. Then you can set it under the Advanced tab and Virtual Memory
I would have to wonder about the resources, particularly RAM, if you are upping your use of a scratch disk. It works and for what it is, it's a good substitute (and it's nice being able to choose what goes on the scratch disk) in a pinch, but that's where I immediately go.

This is going to be highly dependent on the drive that you are using for that extra space (although I would bet most are on SSDs for everything now, I still have some spinners on mine though) and how fast it's able to move as well, so people that will be able to greatly benefit by this are still limited by what physical resources they have.