• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator problem when saving a vector to EPS

crny1

Merry Christmas everyone. I have a issue I cant seem to figure out. I have a large rectangle with a gradient for fill. It is clipped with a vector. When I try to save it as eps illustrator cannot save it. I have another rectangle in another file exactly like this one and it will save all day long. If I remove the vector it will save, so i deleted the vector and copied and pasted the vector from the one that will save since they are identical and it still will not save. I have copied everything onto another file and will not save. Changed the name of the file, will not save. I dont get it........
It will save as pdf and ai but there are 6 other files that go with this print and i am afraid with the gradients if I save this one as pdf and the others as eps it will print different. Any ideas?
thanks

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Do you have any transparency effects applied to any of the objects, including the gradient fill? The EPS format does not support transparency. I also wonder if some of the more recently added features in Illustrator, such as free-form gradients, are supported by the EPS format. They all work in PDF.

crny1

Do you have any transparency effects applied to any of the objects, including the gradient fill? The EPS format does not support transparency. I also wonder if some of the more recently added features in Illustrator, such as free-form gradients, are supported by the EPS format. They all work in PDF.
I did not apply any transparency effects to anything. At first I thought maybe the vector I used had something done to it but that doesnt answer why that same vector will save in other files.
At this point I am thinking maybe I should just save them all as pdf and go that route.

tulsagraphics

EPS isn't a good file format for gradients (the export will try to create a ton of thin lines to replicate the effect -- a very scuffed operation). A high quality PDF would be preferred in this case -- or a high res TIF.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
crny1 said:
I did not apply any transparency effects to anything. At first I thought maybe the vector I used had something done to it but that doesnt answer why that same vector will save in other files.
At this point I am thinking maybe I should just save them all as pdf and go that route.

Obviously there is some kind of variable to the object(s) you're trying to save in EPS format which Illustrator will not allow. If transparency effects aren't the issue and we can't figure out what's what then obviously saving all the files in PDF format would be the best solution. Mixing different file types, such as EPS and PDF, for print output isn't a good idea.

crny1

That's kind of where I am at with it. The vector was copied from the file that saves and pasted to various other files and it absolutely wont save with it. Makes no sense!

tulsagraphics

Just export everything to high quality PDFs or high res TIFs (TIFs are great for solving a lot of issues when special effects are involved -- gradients, shadows, transparencies, clipping masks, etc). Most of the time I print directly from AIs (I use Adobe CC and Caldera), or a TIF if the situation calls for it. Who knows... maybe your customer's files were exported incorrectly, or possibly got corrupted somewhere.

crny1

Just export everything to high quality PDFs or high res TIFs (TIFs are great for solving a lot of issues when special effects are involved -- gradients, shadows, transparencies, clipping masks, etc). Most of the time I print directly from AIs (I use Adobe CC and Caldera), or a TIF if the situation calls for it. Who knows... maybe your customer's files were exported incorrectly, or possibly got corrupted somewhere.
I wish it was a fault of the customers! lol. I created these files myself. I am still scratching my head as too why.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
EPS isn't a good file format for gradients (the export will try to create a ton of thin lines to replicate the effect -- a very scuffed operation). A high quality PDF would be preferred in this case -- or a high res TIF.
I think that only happens when trying to save/export eps files from programs outside of Illustrator. Gradients in eps/ai/pdf files are retained all the way back to v8 files. The only time I have seen Illustrator change a gradient to dozens/hundreds of the thin lines you speak of is when saving down to v3 eps or ai files. It breaks them down into individual solid colors like a blend or posterizing effect in Photoshop