• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator Resolution Question

Mason

You cant, you need to set it in Photoshop, bear in mind you cannot add resolution only reduce, you must start with an image that has sufficient res from the get go.

thewood

That seems like a serious flaw in Illy. I don't want to resize the image in Illustrator. I just want to know what the resolution is. A client sent me a pdf that I can't open in Flexi. When I open the pdf in Photoshop it prompts me to set the resolution (defaulting to the resolution at which I opened the last pdf in PS). Problem is, I don't want to monkey around with the res. I want to open it in PS in the original resolution, and export it as a tiff. How can I figure out what resolution the pdf was created in? In Flexi, you can open a raster image (or a file with both raster and vector elements), click on Design Central, and find out what the resolution is of said image. I find it hard to believe that you can't open a raster image in Illy and find out what the resolution of said image is. But I can't figure it out. Am I making any sense?

SebastienL

I'm not sure about CS. But in CS2, if you don't have the "control palette" at the top, go in the window menu and click on contol palette. In CS2 it states the resolution of a selected image on the left. I worked on CS for a while, but I don't remember if it states the resolution.

Hope this is usefull to you. :Canada 2:

thewood

You can re sample the image in Corel

I don't want to resample the image. I want to find the current resolution of the image.

I'm not sure about CS. But in CS2, if you don't have the "control palette" at the top, go in the window menu and click on contol palette. In CS2 it states the resolution of a selected image on the left. I worked on CS for a while, but I don't remember if it states the resolution.

Hope this is usefull to you. :Canada 2:

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check that out first thing when I get to the shop in the morning as I don't have Illustrator on my laptop. Thanks a bunch, Sebastien!

Rodi

What size is the Illustrator file? If it is large there is a good chance of it being higer resolution. Also view the file at 600%, does it look reasonable or like crap?

thewood

It shows the image ppi before you resample it Glad you got that emergency cleared up

Gotcha. Thanks DSC. I have an older version of Corel, but I don't know if it will open it. I may try that.

What size is the Illustrator file? If it is large there is a good chance of it being higer resolution. Also view the file at 600%, does it look reasonable or like crap?

It is a relatively high res file. The Illy file is around 500 MB. I just wish I knew if it was 72 ppi, 100 ppi, etc so I could open the original pdf in Photoshop, set the res to the current res, and open it. I don't want to undershoot the res, but I also don't want to rasterize it at 100 ppi if the original file is only 72 and create an unnecessarily large file. Plus, at this point, I want to figure it out just for the sake of knowing!

Big thanks to all who have taken the time to give suggestions. Any others?

Former member

Do you see this at the top of Illy when you select the image? Go to window> control to turn it on/off. Hope that helps :thumb:

Attachments

• ppi.jpg
    ppi.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 70

thewood

Blade, I definitely don't have that info at the top of my screen. Although, that is exactly what I'm looking for. What version of Illustrator are you running?

GK

Blade, I definitely don't have that info at the top of my screen. Although, that is exactly what I'm looking for. What version of Illustrator are you running?

Its the Control bar you are looking for. It will tell you if the image is embedded or linked and what the resolution of the file is. It also has the mask and live trace options.

thewood

Thanks to all for the help. It turns our the Control Palette first appeared in CS2. What did people do prior to CS2 to find out the resolution of an object in Illustrator? It seems a rather rudimentary tool for such a powerful program.

vid

How do I find out the resolution of a raster object in an Illy CS file?

Select the image in question, then from the header menu:

Window>Document Info>

From the Document Info flyout menu choose either Linked Images or Embedded Images depending on how the image was placed.

thewood

Select the image in question, then from the header menu:

Window>Document Info>

From the Document Info flyout menu choose either Linked Images or Embedded Images depending on how the image was placed.

YES!!!!! That's it. I have struggled with that in Illustrator for awhile now. Vid, you are the man!:goodpost::goodpost:

Thanks a bundle to everyone who walked me through this!

thewood

Hey, I just wanted to thank you again, vid. I've used that tip a few times today already.

The file in question was 75 ppi at 4'x16', and the resulting banner turned out fantastic.

imagep

How do I find out the resolution of a raster object in an Illy CS file?

I know that this does not help, but in Corel all you have to do is select the raster and at the bottom of the screen it gives you the DPI. Amazingly simple and time saving.

We have Illi and a zillion other programs, but at almost every task, Corel takes a few less steps to achieve the desired results. The lable on the Illi disk is a little better looking than on Corel Draw though.