• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator Spinning Beach Ball

JLD984

Hi all, I've posted about this before but still haven't reached a solution. Every time I open or close any Illustrator file there's a 5-10 second wait before I can do anything while it loads. I have a very powerful iMac and anything else I do on it is lightning fast, except this. Doesn't matter how small or large the file is, it even does it starting a new file, also does it any time I switch from one file to another on the rare occasion I have more than one open. It's clearly a setting in Illustrator or Creative Cloud but I can't figure it out. Any help appreciated.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
just for giggles try dumping the clipboard or just copy something really small and then closing. I've found in other software having a large "copy" in the clipboard will slow down closing files.

oksigns

there are good pointers here with the millions of fonts or networked drives. Bad font files can also cause this as well.

Also, know this is Adobe CC, try removing Adobe Drive if you aren't already married to it. You may also want to check to see if you haven't got multiple versions of Illustrator installed; a lovely byproduct of CC. I would recommend uninstalling all copies after saving your preferences and what not and see if that clears things up.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Under preferences, turn off GPU performance. I also have a very new powerful imac with SSD and noticed problems until I turned off that GPU setting.

JLD984

No network drives mounted. I have GPU performance turned off. Not using a file manager, should I be? No previous versions installed. It's exactly the same delay whether or not anything is on the clipboard.

Pretty sure Adobe drive is off but I can't find this option anywhere, how do I find out in Illustrator CC? Anything I google seems to be for older versions and the option isn't in the preferences in CC to turn it off.

Thanks for all of the advice.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
another option is to login to your mac under a different account. If the problem goes away then it is not your computer but rather something is amiss under your username. You could also try trashing the illustrator preferences. In doing so it could take care of the problem, If not and you want to get back your prefs, then do a backup of that file first