• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator tools vanished!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
For me, it may be that the computer is always on.....I may go a month before I restart it. I have to change up fonts in Suitcase because of different projects. I have my standard fonts, job fonts and them broken down by various types turning them off and on when I need them.

geedub

i just put all the fonts in windows/fonts and dig through them in the program, it's nice having all your fonts installed and ready to go at all times, rather than turning them on and off (i've done it this way before). I guess some machines may not be able to handle 3000 fonts just as well as others, but if it's a decent machine it only really bogs it down when you go to find font and open "system" where it shows a preview of each one, and even then it still loads 3000 fonts in 20 seconds....

iSign

Illustrator CS2 wouldn't put up with even 1000 fonts installed. I hear that CS3 will, so I may be able to go back to my old ways soon.

geedub

hmm.... i had cs2 and now cs3 on both of the machines I use and they both worked fine w/ nearly 3000 fonts installed. Maybe it's time for a system upgrade isign.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I can't fumble through thousands of fonts on the computer, I had them printed out when I used ATM so I fumble through binders....no one has probably noticed but when I show designs ideas, I only work with around 10 typefaces....out of the thousands of typefaces I have I regularly use only 5% of them...if that....but I still turn them off and on.....

iSign

my system is fresh & top of the line. Adobe tech support said it was a known issue too... but that was over a year ago & I've just settled for their opinion since I was crashed beyond all functionality when I called them & the font reduction (plus a re-install) fixed it... so maybe they fixed something on their end before you had different results with CS2... beyond that theory I have no clue why they experienced what I experienced, but you didn't. I will be buying CS3 anyway, so I'll wait till then to load a bunch more fonts.

It's too bad there no longer seems to be the quick fix from a few years ago... just deleting the aiprefs file took care of this back then.