• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator's Live Corners are bigger than Effects>Round Corners!?!?

TravinFlavin

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it a bug in my version? I recently made two identical shapes trying to figure out what was going on in relation to a previous question (you can read here: Rounded Corners: Can Anyone Explain This!?) and entered an identical corner radius (8.1 cm) for each, first into Live Corners then into Effects>Stylize>Round Corners, and the result was the Live Corners were about twice the size of the Round Corners effect.. WTF!?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I just ran a test on a square using the live corners and round corners effect. Both came out identical. Both were 8.1 cm in this image

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 9.01.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 9.01.03 PM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 281

AF

I find it is most accurate and quickest to draw things like this in Autocad and then bring it into Illustrator.

TravinFlavin

Thanks guys. Quick correction, I did some more tests and found it works fine with rectangles but produces very different results with triangles

Johnny Best

Of course you will, rectangles have 90 degree angles and triangles vary. Where you sleeping in geometry class.
I trace the sign curve on paper, get a compass and match curve, measure for radius and transpose findings into Illustrator.
These were done in Illy with same radius and you can see the difference.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 345

TravinFlavin

Of course you will, rectangles have 90 degree angles and triangles vary. Where you sleeping in geometry class.
I trace the sign curve on paper, get a compass and match curve, measure for radius and transpose findings into Illustrator.
I slept through MOST of my classes XD

TravinFlavin

And yes, I realize that rounded corners will vary between shapes. But what I noticed, on my machine anyways, is that two identical triangles with the same corner radius entered on Live Corners as well as Effects>Rounded Corners are producing different results..

Johnny Best

And if you want it to fit next time, make your radius a little bigger and trim off excess after applying material.

Johnny Best

And yes, I realize that rounded corners will vary between shapes. But what I noticed, on my machine anyways, is that two identical triangles with the same corner radius entered on Live Corners as well as Effects>Rounded Corners are producing different results..

Then make your circles separate and lay them where you need them and join both objects and then you bypass your funky copy of Illustrator.