• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Image Enlargement

rparsons

I have a customer who wants us to print a photograph 24" x 26" and I am having a difficult time telling them what size the image needs to be so we can enlarge it to that size. Is there an easy MB size or dpi amount I can give them?

fresh

I have a customer who wants us to print a photograph 24" x 26" and I am having a difficult time telling them what size the image needs to be so we can enlarge it to that size. Is there an easy MB size or dpi amount I can give them?

Sometimes I think its easier to give them resolution... 100 dpi would be 2400 by 2600. I would see if they could get you something bigger, particularly if you need to crop it. I would say something like "We prefer the smallest dimension have a min resolution of 3,000 by whatever it scales to be." If this is too hard for them to understand, you just have to deal with what you get. I've gotten over trying to force people to give me good artwork. I will now print whatever crap you give me :)

BobCap

Large Photos

I hate to say sometimes you just gotta go with what you get. Get paid with the order...I have a large (46") monitor that I put customer art work on to give them an idea of what it will look like. They generally get the idea and live with what you can give them. I have quite a few customers (Historical Societies) that bring in old photos and we scan them and print/mount them. When you stand back from them they don't look too bad:cool:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Full size.......... 100dpi is fine.
Half size.......... 300dpi is fine.
Quarter size..... 600dpi is fine.

I wouldn't insult them and try to give them lessons. Just ask them to have someone in their marketing or advertising department call you and you'll discuss it with them. If it's a solo guy/gal small company and they just don't understand.... and they don't have a graphics friend doing their work, tell them you'll try, but can't promise anything... and then just do your best. In our experiences here, just about everything will work. Most people aren't that fussy when the see the final results.

knucklehead

Take the file size and divide each side by 200, that will give you the print size to produce an average quality image.

Divide by 300 and the results will indicated a higher quality print.

The operative term for raster (Image) files should always be PPI (Pixels per Inch), and never DPI.

At a file resolution of 100 PPI, an uncompressed RGB raster file will be slightly over 4MB in size per square foot of area in the file. For image files, 100 PPI is normally sufficient resolution to print at production print resolutions (typically between 300 - 720 DPI). This is assuming that the file is at print size, and no scaling is occurring in the RIP/ printer driver.